View previous topic | View next topic

Dead Sea

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Stressed parent
43984.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Would you, if you stayed in the Dead Sea long enough get completely dehydrated (even if you didn't ingest any of the salty water) because of osmosis?

Cut_Up_Angel
43987.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote

But isn't sodium chloride used by the body to prevent dehydration? sodium chloride/saline drips are used to treat people with dehydration...

Rory Gilmore
43989.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Go and swig some salt and tell me you don't feel thirsty.

Cut_Up_Angel
43994.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The amount of salt that we eat has a direct effect on our blood pressure. The more salt we eat, the higher our blood pressure. This is true, not only in people with high blood pressure, but also in people with normal blood pressure. A high salt intake also causes other health damage such as greater retention of water in your body, which leads to swelling of the ankles. Too much salt also worsens thinning of the bones (osteoporosis), asthma and kidney disease and is closely related to cancer of the stomach.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/lifestyle/salt.htm

Last edited by Cut_Up_Angel on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

QI Individual
43997.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote

Cut_Up_Angel wrote:
The amount of salt that we eat has a direct effect on our blood pressure. The more salt we eat, the higher our blood pressure. This is true, not only in people with high blood pressure, but also in people with normal blood pressure. A high salt intake also causes other health damage such as greater retention of water in your body, which leads to swelling of the ankles. Too much salt also worsens thinning of the bones (osteoporosis), asthma and kidney disease and is closely related to cancer of the stomach.

Could you post a link to a reliable source to back that up please?

Cut_Up_Angel
43999.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Ooops sorry i forgot to post the link in that - i just need to find it again...

Cut_Up_Angel
44000.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/information/lifestyle/salt.htm

i use this source for essays - so to me it is a reliable source

QI Individual
44003.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote

That source is not reliable enough for my taste I fear.

I have serious doubts about the accuracy of many of the statements made there.

I'd like to see some real research articles on the matter.

Cut_Up_Angel
44004.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

That's fair enough

FatuousFool
44005.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes. Some evidence would be appreciated....

However, I don't think you can become dehydrated in the Dead Sea via osmosis because your skin acts as an impermeable barrier between the your body and the surrounding environment that you are in. So, water cannot diffuse out of the body since the skin is "waterproof," I am aware that the skin has pores, but they infact lead from sweat glands and not directly from any blood vessel, where essentially the water of you body is (in the blood)....

But saying that, you may become dehydrated from the hot climate...so you may actually sweat yourself to dehydration...

Cut_Up_Angel
44006.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Am currently trying to remember my athens/webcat password so i can access the journals - as soon as i can i will post some evidence

FatuousFool
44008.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote

thank you

QI Individual
44011.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote

FatuousFool wrote:
and not directly from any blood vessel, where essentially the water of you body is (in the blood)....

Only a part of it.

Most of the water in your body is inside the cells (intracellular). The average (male) person is considered to have 5 litres of blood and 12 litres of interstitial fluid which is outside the cells and outside the blood circulation ('in between the cells'). Together these two components form the extra cellular fluid compartment.

Ever since our ancestors emerged from the oceans we have been carrying around our own piece of ocean inside us in which every cell bathes.

FatuousFool
44012.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote

My apologies, I honestly wasn't aware of that. But thank you for correcting me...

QI Individual wrote:

our own piece of ocean inside us in which every cell bathes.

Strangely, I find that to be a very sweet and pleasent thought...

djgordy
44014.  Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:

Ever since our ancestors emerged from the oceans we have been carrying around our own piece of ocean inside us in which every cell bathes.

I'm carrying the Arctic Ocean around with me at the moment.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next