View previous topic | View next topic

Ignorance?

Page 1 of 1

coyttl
815158.  Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm Reply with quote

.. So would QI have a show on Ignorance? Wouldn't have make it a self-recursive show?

Ainee
815168.  Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote

"I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance"

Socrates.

There are nearly two pages of quotes in my NEW book of 'QI quotations, Advanced Banter', on the subject of ignorance, which I was thrilled to have been given for my 50th Birthday gift by a dear new Girlfiend.

I have been even more thrilled to (so far) discover quotations from five of my personal acquaintances within it... But no, not Socrates. He was Before My Time.

mckeonj
815437.  Wed May 11, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I've got a book like that; it's full of things that people I know have said.
It's called the 'Collected Works of William Shakespeare'.

coyttl
815441.  Wed May 11, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Interesting! Never thought of it like that - my original intention was to be a show about.. itself. A show about the show. (Facts about what goes on BEHIND the cameras, so to speak.)

However, a show on general ignorance of people - i.e. great quotes and such, would NOT be a bad show at all. :)

Ainee
815449.  Wed May 11, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
I've got a book like that; it's full of things that people I know have said.
It's called the 'Collected Works of William Shakespeare'.

LOL

...and I have a similar one called the 'Collected Works of Oscar Wilde'.

GB Shaw actually (at a quick flick) merits more references than Oscar, whilst poor old Shakespeare only merits one reference in the 'Qi book of advanced banter.'

Still, the 'Naming of the Quoter Game' is often successfully won by naming Oscar as first choice, Shaw as second, and Einstein as third. IMHE

This would not work as a Qi game, btw, as Googling cannot be eliminated.

suze
815495.  Wed May 11, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
Poor old Shakespeare only merits one reference in the 'Qi book of advanced banter.'

That'd be because there's loads and loads of Shakespeare in all the other books of quotations.

It was deliberate that BOAB included a lot of material that isn't in all the others.

Ainee
815499.  Wed May 11, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Good Decision!

tetsabb
816563.  Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Maybe it's a bit late, as the series is being recorded now, but a whole episode of General Ignorance might have been appropriate. Loads of urban myths and klaxons!

Page 1 of 1