View previous topic | View next topic

Iqualuit? Something smells funny

Page 1 of 1

qallunaaq
811381.  Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:30 am Reply with quote

I was reading The Book of General Ignorance and was quite interested with what I found until I came upon the topic "Would you call someone an Eskimo?"

The editors of this book have not done their homework. There are too many errors to count. I will, however, only point our a few.

First of all, everyone gives everyone kuniks. Second, Inuit in Canada, as opposed to those in Greenland, do not count in Danish but in English. Third, Nunavut is not a nation-state, but a territory inside Canada.

Finally, the capital of Nunavut is named Iqaluit, which means "many fish", as opposed to Iqualuit, which roughly translates to "people with unwiped bums". It's not exactly a nice thing to say. The authors of the book are not the first to make this embarrassing mistake:

http://www2.macleans.ca/tag/iqaluit/

Indeed, something smells funny. These errors make me wonder how many other ignorant oversights the writers of The Book of General Ignorance have made. I would venture to suggest that a thorough investigation of the book would leave the authors with a lot of egg on their faces, or even a little poop on their bums. Perhaps Lloyd and Mitchinson can use pages 129-30 to do something about that.

Originally, I put this in the wrong forum. How ignorant.

Bondee
811923.  Sun May 01, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote

qallunaaq wrote:
Originally, I put this in the wrong forum. How ignorant.

No, you put it in the right forum. Twice.

Quite what it has to do with Animal Ignorance, I have no idea.

bemahan
811934.  Sun May 01, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote

There is a mention of fish in the post. ;)

Spud McLaren
811978.  Sun May 01, 2011 11:30 am Reply with quote

I think I'd rather have had a cheque, if it's all the same to you.

bemahan
811984.  Sun May 01, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote

Lol!

nicholasjwest
812567.  Mon May 02, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Would a Hungarian do, Spud?

Spud McLaren
812577.  Mon May 02, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote

Got a half-one at home, thanks.

Page 1 of 1