View previous topic | View next topic

Iqualuit? Something smells funny

Page 1 of 1

qallunaaq
811372.  Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:12 am Reply with quote

I was reading TheBook of General Ignorance and was quite interested with what I found until I came upon the topic "Would you call someone an Eskimo?"

The editors of this book have not done their homework. There are too many errors to count. I will, however, only point our a few.

First of all, everyone gives everyone kuniks. Second, Inuit in Canada, as opposed to those in Greenland, do not count in Danish but in English. Third, Nunavut is not a nation-state, but a territory inside Canada.

Finally, the capital of Nunavut is named Iqaluit, which means "many fish", as opposed to Iqualuit, which roughly translates to "people with unwiped bums". It's not exactly a nice thing to say. The authors of the book are not the first to make this embarrassing mistake:

http://rabble.ca/babble/national-news/harper-gaffe-calling-capital-nunavut-iqualuit-people-unwashed-bums

Indeed, something smells funny. These errors make me wonder how many other ignorant oversights the writers of The Book of General Ignorance have made. I would venture to suggest that a thorough investigation of the book would leave the authors with a lot of egg on their faces, or even a little poop on their bums. Perhaps Lloyd and Mitchinson can use pages 129-30 to do something about that.

tortoiseville
880219.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:14 am Reply with quote

Brilliant post by qallunaaq!

kowari
885854.  Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 am Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you more Qallunaaq! I also read the book and thought it very interesting until I came to the entries which I know a lot about and found completely wrong (See the thread on General Ignorance posted by Kowari). Also made me wonder how much more of the book was also wrong! Your entry makes me wonder even more!

Page 1 of 1