View previous topic | View next topic

Dunsinane

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

96aelw
38406.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was a cannon during a performance of Henry VIII that set the Globe aflame.

 
Jenny
38452.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote

It was, but that was the special effect of the day.

It's referred to in a letter from Sir Henry Wotton to Sir Edmund Bacon, his nephew, dated 2nd June 1613:

Quote:
The King’s players had a new play... representing some principal pieces of the reign of Henry VIII... Now, King Henry making a masque at the Cardinal Wolsey’s house, and certain chambers being shot off at his entry, some of the paper... wherewith one of them was stopped, did light on the thatch, where being thought at first but an idle smoke, and their eyes more attentive to the show, it kindled inwardly, and ran round like a train , consuming within less than an hour the whole house to the very grounds.

...yet nothing did perish but wood and straw, and a few forsaken cloaks; only one man had his breeches set on fire, that would perhaps have broiled him, if he had not by the benefit of a provident wit , put it out with bottle ale.

 
Rory Gilmore
38454.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

So it's nothing to do with Macbeth?

 
Jenny
38456.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Not in this particular instance.

 
gruoch
38458.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
It was, but that was the special effect of the day.

It's referred to in a letter from Sir Henry Wotton to Sir Edmund Bacon, his nephew, dated 2nd June 1613:

Quote:
The King’s players had a new play... representing some principal pieces of the reign of Henry VIII... Now, King Henry making a masque at the Cardinal Wolsey’s house, and certain chambers being shot off at his entry, some of the paper... wherewith one of them was stopped, did light on the thatch, where being thought at first but an idle smoke, and their eyes more attentive to the show, it kindled inwardly, and ran round like a train , consuming within less than an hour the whole house to the very grounds.

...yet nothing did perish but wood and straw, and a few forsaken cloaks; only one man had his breeches set on fire, that would perhaps have broiled him, if he had not by the benefit of a provident wit , put it out with bottle ale.


The Globe went up in smoke much later than 1613!

 
Jenny
38463.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote

After the 1613 fire the theatre was rebuilt in 1614, and finally demolished by the Puritans in 1644.


Last edited by Jenny on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

 
Rory Gilmore
38466.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote

Is there any chance we could burn it down again and keep it secret, just to make a QI question on how often the Globe's burned down?

 
Jenny
38468.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote

I couldn't possibly encourage that kind of behaviour just for the sake of a good question...

 
Rory Gilmore
38474.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Oh well. Still, it could be part of a sci-fi film now I think about it...
''Who is the current president of the united states of America?

''That would be Stewart Geldoff''

''Wrong, it's me! Mwahhahahaha! Guards! Send in the tigons!''


Last edited by Rory Gilmore on Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

 
gruoch
38479.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
I couldn't possibly encourage that kind of behaviour just for the sake of a good question...


Thou liest!

[I apologise for the error re: Henry VIII and sit corrected]

 
Rory Gilmore
38481.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote

And then whoever's last alive out of the three of us gets to publish an autobiography detailing the events and the world of corruption which let us get away with it, leading to much contoversy and disbelief. Agreed?

 
tetsabb
38719.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote

Rory Gilmore wrote:

''Who is the current president of the united states of America?

''That would be Stewart Geldoff''

''Wrong, it's me! Mwahhahahaha! Guards! Send in the tigons!''


Ok you've got me: who is Stewart Geldoff? Some bizarre offspring of Capt Picard and a Boomtown Rat?

 
Rory Gilmore
38721.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote

Sigh... It's supposed to be set in the future. I thought ''Geldoff'' then ''Stuart'', but wrote it ''Stewart'' for some reason.

 

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group