View previous topic | View next topic

Geography

Page 1 of 1

peteshew
808640.  Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote

BBC last night on Geography. I was appalled at SFs lack of knowledge of English geography. He described Gibraltar Point as near Grimsby and in South Yorkshire. The three places are each at least as as far apart as the distance from London to Brighton and in different administrative counties (although Grimsby and Gibraltar Point ar both in the ceremonial county of Lincolnshire, albeit in different Ridings of the Parts of Linsdey)

Gibraltar Point is, in fact, close to The Wash. Prehaps SF confused that with the Humber.

A missed opportunity was the later comparison of the Netherlands and Holland was the fact that Lincolnshire also boasts a Parts of Holland, and that calling the Netherlands Holland was not like calling the UK East Anglia but almost identical to calling the UK England.

nicholasjwest
809211.  Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote

I would also like to point out that this should be in the 'G' section. Call it even? And besides, the proximity is relative. They are almost on top of eachother when you consider Edinburgh and Cornwall.

Arcane
809264.  Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote

Also, yet again, it must be repeated that Mr Fry simply reads what is in the cards he is supplied. He is the presenter of the show, not the main researcher!

If you have an issue with the information on the show, please take it up with the QI elves, where there are appropriate threads for that.

Also, pointing out someone elses mistakes whilst making a significant one of your own (as nicholas pointed out, you are in the I section, whereas the show involved a G topic), has something to do with glasshouses and stones, I believe.

Moosh
809299.  Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quote

Gibraltar Point is about 40 miles from Grimsby. That's pretty close. Also, there isn't really anywhere nearer than Grimsby that anyone's heard of, except Lincoln and saying it's near Lincoln gives the wrong impression as it makes it sound inland. Hence, if you're going to say it's near a town, Grimsby is the one to go for.

Leith
811003.  Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote

Slightly late, but welcome to the forums, peteshew.

The mention of Gibraltar Point somewhat threw me as well. I visit North Lincolnshire fairly regularly and was mildly surprised that I hadn't heard of it. Having looked it up, I see it's near Skegness, in the south of the county (for those not familiar, Lincolnshire is a big county). It's shown on Google Maps as just "Gibraltar".

I wonder if someone confused Gibraltar Point with Spurn Point / Spurn Head (for which the description "in South Yorkshire, near Grimsby" would serve admirably)?

Whatever definition of 'near' one wants to use, Gibraltar Point is most emphatically not in South Yorkshire. So, if that assertion was made, then a submission to the QI Quibble blog may be in order (see http://www.qi.com/about for contact details, if you feel so inclined).

peteshew wrote:
A missed opportunity was the later comparison of the Netherlands and Holland was the fact that Lincolnshire also boasts a Parts of Holland,

Indeed: Historical description of Holland, Lincolnshire

peteshew wrote:
and that calling the Netherlands Holland was not like calling the UK East Anglia but almost identical to calling the UK England.

That occurred to me, too, though I wonder if continental Holland has quite so strong an identity as a former state in it's own right, or has a similar history of enmity as do England and its neighbours. More discussion on the 'Holland' / ''Netherlands' distinction here:
http://www.qi.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=20227

Page 1 of 1