View previous topic | View next topic

AZERBAIJAN

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ainee
807940.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote

All you ever needed to know about Azerbaijan is contained here:

http://stevehollier.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/baku-days-what-do-you-know-about-azerbaijan/

Bondee
807943.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Not quite everything!

There's no mention of the hair thieves who steal old ladies' hair and sell it into slavery in Azerbaijan.

Ainee
807945.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote

What sort of household tasks are accomplished by stolen old ladies' hair, please?

Moosh
807947.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote

There's an interesting point raised in the thread beginning post 649982 which is that Azerbaijani is the only language that uses the turned e symbol ə as a letter.

Bondee
807953.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
What sort of household tasks are accomplished by stolen old ladies' hair, please?

It's from Eddie Izzard's The Definite Article. I can't find the relevant clip on YouTube, so you'll have to make do with a quote...

Quote:
But trolleys, they never run straight, do they? Have you ever flown on a trolley? Never! Because they’ve always got the wobbly wheel off to the right, hit someone in the stomach, and they drop all their shopping in, and then you’ve got their shopping… (mimes moving away with the trolley)

And if you hit an old lady, you get hairnets and dog food! That’s all they buy. At a certain age, about 80, I think, they go, (mimes writing shopping list) "Fuck everything else! Hairnets and dog food, that’s all I need now…" ‘Cause you’re on bonus time from then on, really, so you might as well get weird shit. "Hairnets and dog food." Hairnets, of course, are pointless; we’ve all known this, and we’ve marveled at people putting them on, ‘cause when you take them off in the morning, you’ve got criss-cross patterns on your hair.

"Why, old lady? Why the hairnet?"

(mimes holding the hairnet against the hair) "Oh, the hair thieves! The hair thieves, they come in the night… Steal your hair, they do! Sell it into slavery… in Azerbaijan."

Stupid, I know, but it's what I always think of when I hear somebody mention Azerbaijan.

Ainee
808019.  Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Ainee wrote:

It's from Eddie Izzard's The Definite Article. I can't find the relevant clip on YouTube, so you'll have to make do with a quote...

Quote:
But trolleys, they never run straight, do they? Have you ever flown on a trolley? Never! Because they’ve always got the wobbly wheel off to the right, hit someone in the stomach, and they drop all their shopping in, and then you’ve got their shopping… (mimes moving away with the trolley)

And if you hit an old lady, you get hairnets and dog food! That’s all they buy. At a certain age, about 80, I think, they go, (mimes writing shopping list) "Fuck everything else! Hairnets and dog food, that’s all I need now…" ‘Cause you’re on bonus time from then on, really, so you might as well get weird shit. "Hairnets and dog food." Hairnets, of course, are pointless; we’ve all known this, and we’ve marveled at people putting them on, ‘cause when you take them off in the morning, you’ve got criss-cross patterns on your hair.

"Why, old lady? Why the hairnet?"

(mimes holding the hairnet against the hair) "Oh, the hair thieves! The hair thieves, they come in the night… Steal your hair, they do! Sell it into slavery… in Azerbaijan."

Stupid, I know, but it's what I always think of when I hear somebody mention Azerbaijan.

LOL!

Now I understand. Thank you for that. Eddie Izzard is a very clever and funny man. Also Dyslexic, which obviously helps his imagery!

Bondee
808978.  Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote

Another Izzard quote on that very subject...
(at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law...)

Quote:
This is true, they proved this one. The word dyslexia was invented by Nazis to piss off kids with dyslexia.

Ainee
816508.  Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Azerbaijan wins Eurovision!

http://stevehollier.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/baku-days-azerbaijan-wins-eurovision-2011-but-that-does-it-mean/

Eurovision is one of the most-watched competitions in the world, with audience figures estimated as high as 600 million. Superbowl 2010 by comparison, was watched by just 93 million viewers.

Zebra57
816551.  Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

At least one of the Azeri singers lives in Britain! Can we count that as a minor victory?

Bondee
816719.  Mon May 16, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:

Yeah, and did you see the length of the extensions in that woman's hair!

All down to the hair thieves!!!

Ainee
816880.  Tue May 17, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
At least one of the Azeri singers lives in Britain! Can we count that as a minor victory?

http://stevehollier.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/baku-days-myth-its-harder-to-get-a-visa-to-visit-azerbaijan-than-to-obtain-one-for-the-uk/

One minor victory had already been achieved... Now however will they arrange for an entire Eurovision event to be held in the country next year?

CB27
816945.  Tue May 17, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote

As I mentioned on a related thread, this is something that the country has been in talks with the EU in the week preceding the Eurovision, so it's very timely, but there are two countries that do not have the same visa requirements for Azerbaijan, these are Turkey and Israel.

There are certain reasons why some the UK and other "developed" countries sometimes make it harder for visitors for particular countries, be they immigration, crime and/or other, so as much as I support open travel, I understand the need for visa requirements, if only to keep readers of the Daily Wail happy...

Ainee
816990.  Tue May 17, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Indeed. Plus, from the regular inputs of Azerbaijani news I get from my chum over there, I cannot help but feel no urge whatsoever to visit that extremely unattractive country.

I can entirely understand that any aspirational residents would be seriously considering how to get out of it, and move to a more attractive and better-organised country.

Me, I'd be heading for Italy...

CB27
817030.  Tue May 17, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, I think that's harsh. By all accounts there is a lot of natural beauty to the land, ancient palaces and architecture, and the last couple of weeks of March sounds like fun because the whol country gets an 8 day holiday :)

bobwilson
817106.  Tue May 17, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:

http://stevehollier.wordpress.com/2011/05/15/baku-days-azerbaijan-wins-eurovision-2011-but-that-does-it-mean/

Eurovision is one of the most-watched competitions in the world, with audience figures estimated as high as 600 million. Superbowl 2010 by comparison, was watched by just 93 million viewers.

I .... just ...... despair

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next