View previous topic | View next topic

What do you think about English as a global language?

Page 1 of 1

Do you think that it is a good idea that English is a global language?
Yes, because......
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No, because..............
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Dominika08876
806679.  Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote

Hi! I am writing my BA about advantages and disadvantages of English as a global language. I would like to ask you about benefits and dangers of English as a global language.

Last edited by Dominika08876 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

samivel
806698.  Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quote

Well, whether any individual considers it a good or a bad idea is vanishingly unlikely to make any difference to whether or not it is, so I'm struggling to see the point of the question, I'm afraid.

Dominika08876
806716.  Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote

So what about disappearance of culture as a negative aspect and job and educational opportunities as a positive, what do you think about it?

Jenny
806791.  Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote

I don't think there will ever be a global language in the sense that nobody will speak any other language. There are too many people and cultures in the world for that to happen.

However, I think English is already a de facto global language for many purposes - computers and air traffic control to name two.

Sherbrooke
823512.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote

I don't know how this poll could be used as research as this forum has an obvious bias towards English as it is being read by English speakers (whether it is their home language or not, they are reading it because they understand English), therefore the validity of the results will be skewed.

Posital
823524.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Well - I think english will be a global business/tech language follwed by chinese. And then spanish/chinese/russian/english as the main languages used in the community... and a local language thrown in for home...

So yes - and no... mostly no...

Zebra57
823643.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote

English is rapidly becoming the language of global communication and international trading. I doubt that it would ever become THE global language.

bobwilson
823661.  Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Well, leaving aside the fact that I consider BA to stand for Bullshit Alert.......

What exactly do you mean by "English"? I doubt that anyone would consider the twitterings of Dubya as "English", nor the pronouncements of the Law Lords (heavily infiltrated by arcane latin phrases).

Quote:
So what about disappearance of culture as a negative aspect and job and educational opportunities as a positive, what do you think about it?

Sociology degree by any chance?

(I'll write the essay for you if you like - and I'll get you the degree too. My fees are quite reasonable).

CB27
823743.  Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 am Reply with quote

You might want to change "I doubt that anyone", because I accept English for what it is, some people use bad English, some Good English, and there are local dialects and slang.

It's all English to me, whether like it or not.

Dominika08876
848204.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote

I suppose that English language is your mother tongue so you may have mixed feelings about the way English is spreading around the world.Do you feel pride that your language is the one which has been so successful? or Do you feel anger because people in other countries may not want to use the language in the same way that you do, and are changing it to suit themeselves....?????

bobwilson
848496.  Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
You might want to change "I doubt that anyone", because I accept English for what it is, some people use bad English, some Good English, and there are local dialects and slang.

It's all English to me, whether like it or not.

No I don't think so CB - not on the "English" question but on the matter of comprehensibility. I have no feelings about the multiple variants of English - but I do expect them to be understandable to their core audience.

Page 1 of 1