View previous topic | View next topic

Mistakes in Second Book of General Ignorance

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Bondee
876244.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote

mask_and_mirror wrote:
Here's a genuine one; the book states that there are 42 pips on a single dice.

Dealt with on page 1 of this very thread.

The search function is such a marvellous innovation, isn't it?

mask_and_mirror
876277.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote

Well, that's rude. I think I'll forget about joining in here. Online forums are so friendly, aren't they? I read the whole thread as it happens; I just happened to miss it.

Arcane
876313.  Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote

We are a pretty friendly bunch; please take the time to look over the whole site before making any decisions. It is a good idea to use the search feature before posting facts; I've been a member of this forum for years and I still do that. Unfortunately in a thread where sometimes the tone towards QI and those involved has been accusatory and at times harsh, occasionally members can be a little protective. Do look over the rest of the site.

Posital
876325.  Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote

mask_and_mirror wrote:
Well, that's rude.
M&M - I think you were pretty quick to take offence.

Take a chill pill, reread, and think about taking some good advice.

BTW - Welcome.

mask_and_mirror
876951.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Thank you both; I am sorry to have taken that remark so harshly - it was my mistake after all. I think it was a little brisk, however; I think people online forget they are talking to real people sometimes!

I bear no ill will to QI, of course! :)

CB27
876982.  Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Don't believe them, it's a really rude place - if you're looking for that sort of thing :)

Nah, only kidding. The spots on a dice thing has been discussed on a number of threads and probably been done to death more than most quibbles, so I guess some people flail their arms at the prospect of it being brought up again :)

PDR
877044.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote

mask_and_mirror wrote:
I think people online forget they are talking to real people sometimes!

That's a fairly bold assumption - do you have any evidence to support it?

I've always leaned more towards the more likely assumption that they are pieces of redundant code in an old PDP11/23 that someone forgot top turn off back in the 80s.

PDR

mask_and_mirror
877227.  Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote

You may have taken that a little literally, PDR! I think it is much easier to speak frankly with someone when they are not face to face with one, and that effect is multiplied by the almost total anonymity of an on-line discussion. Also, all of the fora I have frequented have been hotbeds of argument, sadly.

I assume it was meant to say 'a standard pair of dice', since dice come in pairs in many contexts.

Sadurian Mike
877912.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote

Arcane wrote:
We are a pretty friendly bunch;

Balls to you.

Sadurian Mike
877913.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote

mask_and_mirror wrote:
You may have taken that a little literally, PDR!

(You'll find that the forum humour tends towards the deliberate misinterpretation of innocent remarks).

You may take PDR literally, as long as you have somewhere to keep him.

Sadurian Mike
877914.  Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Toad wrote:
When you restrict your research to Wikipedia that's what happens.

More likely when you use words defined by common usage.

If you were to say 'aeroplane' or 'airplane' to the vast majority of people, they would not understand you.

However, were you to say it to the vast majority of English speakers, they would interpret it as a heavier than air flying machine. Some might decide that it should be powered, but by no means all. Indeed, the common term 'glider plane'* is a contraction of 'glider aeroplane', and therefore suggests that common usage dictates that an aeroplane can be a glider.

If we restrict questions to using tight technical definitions rather than common usage, we would there all day.

Define, for example (something close to my heart), a military 'tank'. As there are as many definitions as experts, I imagine that trying to choose a correct one for the purposes of a quiz would be fraught with complications. Therefore, we use the common usage.

*Feel free to have a quick Google if you don't believe that the term is commonly used.

soup
877968.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote

mask_and_mirror wrote:
I assume it was meant to say 'a standard pair of dice', since dice come in pairs in many contexts.

This was discussed, A LOT, and it was finally decided that it referred to "normal" cubical standard dice. As the singular is die it was assumed that dice refereed to a multiple . The most common multiple of dice was two (as you stated) so the number 42 was agreed upon .

Arcane
877972.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
mask_and_mirror wrote:
You may have taken that a little literally, PDR!

(You'll find that the forum humour tends towards the deliberate misinterpretation of innocent remarks).

In a jar, beside the bed, next to my false teeth.*

*May or may not actually have false teeth.

dmottram
877977.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote

GI 2 contains the claim that the date of Easter was rigged so as to always avoid the Jewish Passover. This is, of course, completely untrue. Passover actually lasts for seven or eight days - this year from April 6-13 or 14. Easter Sunday is on April 8th - smack in the middle of Passover.

Easter was originally set to be the Sunday after the start of Passover so always within the Passover celebration. Later Jews and Christians disagreed over how to calculate the date of Passover (rather than relying on observations and decisions by priests in the temple, by then destroyed). This means Easter does occasionally avoid Passover.

Last edited by dmottram on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PDR
877981.  Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 am Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

You'll never take me alive, G-man!

PDR

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next