View previous topic | View next topic

The Really, Really Long Race To The White House 2012

Page 33 of 87
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 85, 86, 87  Next

CB27
901181.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote

In the words of Labelle, All Saints, Christina Aguillera and many others; "Mocha Chocalata ya ya..."

:)

Pyriform
901263.  Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Some may find offensive

Not as offensive as this Republican bumper sticker.

Jenny
901555.  Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Wow, that really is offensive.

Strawberry
901661.  Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
From the Urban Dictionary

NSFW

Some may find offensive

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=santorum

And of course there's also this. i remember that i mentioned it in the Strange little things I find on the internet thread in January and then there was a discussion about unfortunate acronyms.

CB27
908129.  Wed May 09, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote

from thinking this would be a comfortable win for Obama, I wonder if the race is now wide open?

Obama has come out in public backing same sex marriages, and some might point to polls showing 50% of Americans agree, but I don't think it's just conservative Republicans who will disagree with Obama, when you look at the way people vote on various issues then African Americans in the US tend to be very conservative when it comes to family values, and I think this could mean some either voting for Romney or abstaining.

tetsabb
908164.  Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote

Amusingly on BBC News a few mins ago the headline read 'Obama comes out'
Someone having a bit of fun when they think no-one is watching?

exnihilo
908183.  Thu May 10, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote

The polls show that young people are overwhelmingly in favour of same-sex marriage. They also show that the shine had come off Obama and the young vote was unlikely to turn out in any strength. This move will reinvigorate the people who believed last time round that Obama was an actual force for good.

Neotenic
908184.  Thu May 10, 2012 3:05 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Obama has come out in public backing same sex marriages, and some might point to polls showing 50% of Americans agree, but I don't think it's just conservative Republicans who will disagree with Obama, when you look at the way people vote on various issues then African Americans in the US tend to be very conservative when it comes to family values, and I think this could mean some either voting for Romney or abstaining.

I dunno - sure, I also recall hearing the theory that it was the increased voter turnout amongst the black Christian community in California that allowed Proposition 8 to succeed in 2008.

However, do I think that issue on its own is enough to get black Californians to vote for Mitt Romney over Obama? I think not. I understand that there may well be a counter-Proposition 8 initiative on the ballot there this year and whilst the electorates convictions may mean they vote against that, I don't think it's quite enough to get them to completely change their allegiances.

CB27
908188.  Thu May 10, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking just about California, I'm thinking about the whole country.

I also wonder if young people will be invigorated to vote for Obama again?

Jenny
908342.  Thu May 10, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote

The question is whether they will be invigorated enough to vote at all - the apathy factor is huge, I think, as is the 'plague on both your houses' factor that drives the supporters of Ron Paul.

I was delighted that Obama finally came off that fence and said what it was popularly assumed he believed all along. I would have thought more highly of him if he'd said it sooner.

djgordy
908372.  Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Ron Paul.

I would have thought that Ron Paul would be firmly in favour of same sex marriages.

djgordy
908373.  Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Oh wait, I'm thinking of RuPaul.

CB27
908375.  Thu May 10, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote

That's his running mate.

exnihilo
908379.  Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

I was delighted that Obama finally came off that fence and said what it was popularly assumed he believed all along. I would have thought more highly of him if he'd said it sooner.

He did say it sooner, back when nobody much cared who he was. Then he decided that maybe he'd better not say it if he wanted to get elected. Then he largely forgot about it or shelved it. Then Joe Biden backed him into saying it. Now he's being lauded as some kind of saint for reverting to what should have been his clear and unequivocal position all along.

I'm sure it will prove to be a positive step and I hope it does help him to beat Romney, but nobody should be under any illusion that he would have stepped up if he didn't have to, and nobody should forget that he failed to step up while, for example, North Carolina voted to amend it's constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

Jenny
908644.  Fri May 11, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote

To be fair, it's not within the scope of his powers to interfere in what North Carolinians do with their state constitution, and unless it's challenged successfully through the judicial system all the way up to the Supreme Court that NC amendment will stand. Also, given that NC is an essentially Republican state, had he said anything sooner it would be more likely to have driven even more opponents of gay marriage to the polls there.

Page 33 of 87
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 85, 86, 87  Next