View previous topic | View next topic

BIRDS DO MIMIC IN THE WILD

Page 1 of 1

GSXR
801078.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Tonight I heard that Birds do not mimic in the wild - there is video/audio proof that they do.....

David Attenborough 'Life Of Birds' presents the amazing lyre bird, which mimics the calls of other birds - and chainsaws and camera shutters.....

Sorry.....................Love the prog...........

Ainee
801083.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote

We had a Thrush outside our house which mimicked our telephone ringing almost perfectly. If I was upstairs asleep, and it sang at me through the window, I had to descent two flights of spiralling stairs to answer the non-phone call, so I was not best pleased with it.

Flipping Telephone Bird!

Edited to Add: Let me be the first to welcome you to the Forums, GMX1 or however you spell it! Good start, well done!

CB27
801092.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Which eipisode of Qi was it that said they don't mimic in the wild? I seem to recall a whole section in one episode where the "buzzers" were all bird sounds from the wild which were mimicking sounds, so they were certainly confirming it.

Ainee
801094.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Say hello to GSXR nicely, CB27!

Crikey, why can't people use realistic names without numbers in? for Dyscalculic moi, that was really hard to type correctly.

I better go to bed. Sweet Dreams, All!

GSXR
801101.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote

Hi friends members and fans of QI......................Love facts and all trivia....

Hi Ainee and THANKS.....

Tonights episode on one of the skys channels didn't take note which one sorry could have been the DejaVu one I think as I always catch QI which is on a few times in succession on that channel...

Anyway it was stated that birds, parrots, mynah's mimic people etc but it doesn't occur in the wild...Unless I was mistaken and misunderstood...If I was I will humbly apologise obviously.....

The reason I was interested and am interested in birds is I have a large Macaw she thinks I am her mate lol....I get all the treatment and she copies me more than most. I guess we bonded when we got her, I was the only one that could handle the aggression the bites and the scores of scratches I got....It was so worth it....

Anyway I watched D. Attenboroughs 'Life Of Birds' and was amazed at wild birds mimicking chainsaws camera shutters etc etc.....

monzac
801113.  Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote

GSXR wrote:
Tonights episode on one of the skys channels didn't take note which one sorry could have been the DejaVu one I think as I always catch QI which is on a few times in succession on that channel...

Anyway it was stated that birds, parrots, mynah's mimic people etc but it doesn't occur in the wild...Unless I was mistaken and misunderstood...If I was I will humbly apologise obviously.....

You should be able to find the reference in the show here.

samivel
801132.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:

Crikey, why can't people use realistic names without numbers in? for Dyscalculic moi, that was really hard to type correctly.

It must be pretty severe discalcula (or perhaps something else entirely) if four capital letters in a row causes your numerical difficulties to kick in.

:)

GSXR
801203.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote

I have since hunted it down and it stated Parrots and not birds in general....So it may well apply to parrots only......I'll get my coat...

Ainee
801492.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Ainee wrote:

It must be pretty severe discalcula (or perhaps something else entirely) if four capital letters in a row causes your numerical difficulties to kick in.

:)

I blame the painkillers I was munching for the tooth pain, lol! Good thing I took myself off to bed at that point. That task would not seem to unfeasible today! Thus:

CB27; I apologise for having impugned on your normally impeccable manners!

Gosh, that was easy to remember and type.

CB27
801595.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote

I got confused, I wondered why it seemed I was rude :)

Sorry, been stuck with the CB27 name since many many years ago, it makes it easier for me to recognise myself.

I sympathise with the tooth pain, a couple of years back one of my wisdom teeth impacted in a silly accident and pieces of it got wedged in the gum under the next tooth and were pressing directly on the nerve (until I saw it I never realised just how big that nerve is), so I was on painkillers until I managed to get an op in Guys hospital.

I remember at one point I was in so much pain I was given morphine - that was a blast!!!

Ainee
801612.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
I remember at one point I was in so much pain I was given morphine - that was a blast!!!

Ahhhh, Morphine. My drug of choice, but very rarely proffered to me. That’s the one I want, of drift out of this mortal coil whilst using…
In the meantime, I plan to survive its temptations in my forthcoming major operation(s).

I hope they let me self-administer it again: after the first Caesarian, they fixed me up to a gadget which dropped a dose of morphine into my arm, every time I pressed the switch. Too soon, and the switch would not deliver the needed dose. I stretched the pain out for five days of warm comfort.

When they unclipped it, I was told that I had used less than a third of my allotted morphine dose. Drat them! Why couldn’t they have told me that sooner!

Some people are allergic to Morphine, and I have deep pity for their loss. Especially when they have been Terminal Cancer Victims, of my acquaintance.

Aaaaahh, morphine...

("Aaaahhhh, Venice" is a similar phrase I often use.)

T J Alex
890610.  Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I've heard wild birds in an urban environment in Thailand mimic car alarms .

I can't even begin to imagine how this enhances their survival chances.

Sorry don't know the species, but as I recall were small and brownish.

CB27
890636.  Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

In terms of survival, I think there is probably a good chance for a bird to "disappear" into the background if it can mimic a sound which is associated with something else.

With regards to the regular calls, I think it's to do with mating rather than survival. Birds often try and attract mates by creating very impressive calls, and it could be that a new noise provides a new challenge.

Posital
890647.  Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote

T J Alex wrote:
I've heard wild birds in an urban environment in Thailand mimic car alarms. I can't even begin to imagine how this enhances their survival chances. Sorry don't know the species, but as I recall were small and brownish
Is this it?

CharliesDragon
996467.  Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote

I can confirm the episode said that parrots do not mimic other sounds in the wild, but only has their own screetchy call, while other birds will mimic all sort of sounds, like telephones and car alarms which have been mentioned in this thread.

I have a theory as to why parrots mimic humans, both vocally and physically with lifting their leg or flapping their wing if a human does the equalent with their own body. I think they're simply trying to communicate with us and fit in. They're lonely and desperately trying to establish a relationship meaningful to them, but we just see it as a bit of fun. We might say "Silly bird!" or purposely make them mimic things just for our entertainment, or much worse, yell at them if they keep repeating words loudly or at hours that we would prefer the house to be quiet.

Quote:
The reason I was interested and am interested in birds is I have a large Macaw she thinks I am her mate lol....I get all the treatment and she copies me more than most. I guess we bonded when we got her, I was the only one that could handle the aggression the bites and the scores of scratches I got....It was so worth it....

I think that reinforces my theory. Parrots are extremely smart birds and I'm not happy to think of how many of them start pulling their feathers out or otherwise harming themselves due to the mental stress of being a lone bird.

I'm sorry if this comment seem horribly worded and put together, I can't get my brain to work properly now. The point is that I feel sorry for a lot of parrots kept in captivity and most of their behaviour is explained by how smart they are and that they need another bird to bond with.

Page 1 of 1