View previous topic | View next topic

What is happiness?

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Frederick The Monk
797.  Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:24 pm Reply with quote

A truly excellent suggestion Menocchio. I shall raise a glass of finest mahogany to the good folk at the Idler..........

........as soon as someone makes one for me.

Jenny
803.  Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Gin and black treacle sounds truly revolting - like something Mrs Squeers might have dosed the boys at Dotheboys Hall with.

Frederick The Monk
810.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:52 am Reply with quote

I admit the first pint is a trifle difficult to get down but after that many of the problems seem to fade and a more positive side to the drink shines through.

Jenny
814.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:13 am Reply with quote

I can imagine, Fred. Gin Alley then, rather than Dickens? 'Drunk for a penny, dead drunk for tuppence'.

Frederick The Monk
815.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:01 am Reply with quote

If you look very carefully on the left of Hogarth's 'Gin Lane' you might just catch a glimpse of me - I'm the one in the wheelbarrow.

On the subject of Gin Lane the central action actually very nearly happened to my little daughter at the weekend as I tried to get her into a very inconvenient travel cot. Fortunately I caught her. Just goes to show you don't have to be drunk to have such mishaps however. Although it probably helps.

Jenny
820.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Just seeing if I can upload the image of 'Gin Alley' from this webpage.

Hmm - doesn't seem to have worked - click on http://www.360degrees.org/timeline/era3/era3_d.html if you don't know the picture. It's rather small I'm afraid.

Frederick The Monk
822.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:31 pm Reply with quote

A bigger image of Gin Lane exists at:

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/art/h/hogarth/zginlane.jpg

I shall attempt to insert it here:

I trust this will bugger up the pagination.

Jenny
824.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Yes it did, but it's a lovely picture. How did you do that?

Frederick The Monk
828.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I just popped the square bracketed IMG thing before the URL - then the URL - then the backslash IMG thing.

I think.

Jenny
830.  Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote

I did that, but the picture didn't post. Ah well - I've put a message on the website comments thread for Kieran to see, so maybe he'll tell me.

JumpingJack
3052.  Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:32 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Happiness consists in finding out precisely what "the one thing necessary" may be in our lives, and in gladly relinquishing all the rest. For then, by a divine paradox, we find that everything else is given us together with the one thing we needed.
THOMAS MERTON No Man Is An Island

Frances
3079.  Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Happiness is good teeth, an electric blanket, and soft toilet paper.

JumpingJack
3109.  Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:30 am Reply with quote

You turn off the blanket, eat it and then spend hours on the lavatory. My idea of bliss.

Flash
3122.  Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:53 am Reply with quote

A double electric blanket is the quintessential wedding present - just sums up what marriage is all about. Specially the kind which has independent controls for each side of the bed.

Jenny
3131.  Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:30 am Reply with quote

Personally, I'd rather cuddle up to my own personal space-heater.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next