View previous topic | View next topic

Japanese Earthquake

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

bobwilson
799559.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:43 am Reply with quote

Quote:
my opinion is that it is tasteless in the extreme to use a natural disaster to bang an anti-monarchist drum

That's extraordinarily naive. Is it tasteless to use a global recession to bang a political drum? Or to use the danger of nuclear meltdown to bang an anti-nuclear drum? Or to use the successful containment of a nuclear facility in the face of overwhelming odds to bang a pro-nuclear drum?

God save us from voters.

samivel
799575.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote

I'd rather he saved us from non-participants, to be honest.

barbados
799601.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote

I'm more than a little bit curious as to how the republican movement would have prevented a natural disaster.

Maybe someone could explain what, in this instance, Emperor Akihito did to cause the earthquake, and subsequent tsunami so we can prevent the obviously evil genius from doing it again.

Then we can look at how the strict building regulations that have been in place in cities, coupled with the earthquake drills that have been going on in Japan for a number of years. Who knows maybe we'll see how evil the Japanese emperor is.

Numpty

Sadurian Mike
799617.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:28 am Reply with quote

Well Indonesia is a republic, but that didn't stop a large number of deaths from natural disasters.

Iceland is not a monarchy but the volcano still erupted and caused chaos.

I'm not aware of too many monarchs in the USA, either, but New Orleans still happened, as do plenty of tornadoes. Mount St. Helens is another example. The New Orleans disaster, of course, was when Condoleezza Rice was Secretary of State....

In short, not only is the claim that Japan's problems are related to its emperor in very bad taste, they are obviously innaccurate as well.

exnihilo
799640.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote

Poor taste and inaccurate? Yeah, that sounds about right for this particular poster.

Jenny
799652.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Quote:
my opinion is that it is tasteless in the extreme to use a natural disaster to bang an anti-monarchist drum

That's extraordinarily naive. Is it tasteless to use a global recession to bang a political drum? Or to use the danger of nuclear meltdown to bang an anti-nuclear drum? Or to use the successful containment of a nuclear facility in the face of overwhelming odds to bang a pro-nuclear drum?

God save us from voters.

The link between global recession and politics is clear. The link between the use of nuclear power and the risk of nuclear meltdown is absolutely clear. The link between the existence of a monarchy and a natural disaster that has killed thousands of people is not, IMHO, clear at all, and it seems tasteless to me to exploit those deaths to push that agenda.

Posital
799795.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote

Can I direct attention to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12860842

Which puts the radiation reports into perspective, while a large number of people in Japan either have no home to return to; can't return to their home; or can't leave their home.

The BBC reporting on the post-tsunami situation is beginning to irritate me... and that takes some doing...

Posital
802993.  Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote

BBC wrote:
Japan nuclear plant releases radioactive water into sea!!
Hang on - isn't sea water radioactive water anyway?

Liverpool Uni wrote:
The oceans contain appreciable amounts of radioactive materials which derive from natural sources within the atmosphere and within the earth.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/~preston/nuclides.htm

So it should read: Japan nuclear plant releases radioactive water into radioactive water.

CB27
803102.  Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote

Because of the extra exclamation mark, my first thought was "those poor seals", followed not long after by "cool, flipzilla!!!"

'yorz
839343.  Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote

Good grief! Just got sent this tsunami footage

CB27
839345.  Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote

Eh?

Arcane
839346.  Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote

Anyone have the key to the door?

otyikondo
839347.  Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:20 am Reply with quote

DON'T open the door, for God's sake!
It's all that is protecting our screens from billions of gallons of roiling debris-strewn seawater!

Arcane
839352.  Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote

Don't worry! I have floaties!

Dix
1374431.  Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote

Reviving this because I've just seen another earthquake has been reported near Fukushima. Off the coast of Japan. Magnitude 7.

More details will undoubtedly be in the news soon.

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next