View previous topic | View next topic

Japanese Earthquake

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posital
796434.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote

I don't get out of bed for a four-point-nought-er...

'yorz
796446.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Lots of women wouldn't either...

Arcane
796454.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:54 pm Reply with quote

We dont' really get many earthquakes in Australia, there was the Newcastle earthquake some time back, generally we don't seem too prone to them, thankfully!

Spud McLaren
796462.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Lots of women wouldn't either...
Or into bed, possibly more to the point.

otyikondo
796479.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote

This is an interesting take on matters. Sorry if it's been posted before. If so, ignore. One or two salutory reminders of things we don't know...

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some-perspective-on-the-japan-earthquake/

samivel
796487.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure you can remind anybody of something they don't know...

:)

otyikondo
796490.  Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote

:)

I should probably go into Rumsfeld mode and "known unknowns", but just read the piece and you'll get my drift...

cherrycoke
796532.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote

I don't think we need to be sending money to Japan - they're all rich! I saw some rice farmer being interviewed on the news and he had two boats parked outside his house!

Posital
796540.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote

otyikondo wrote:
This is an interesting take on matters. Sorry if it's been posted before. If so, ignore. One or two salutory reminders of things we don't know... http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some-perspective-on-the-japan-earthquake/
Thanks for this - but it doesn't mention much about the Tsunami - apart from it's a Japanese word...

Surviving earthquakes is one thing - and I know that Japan has it in it's blood. Some even had a warning phonecall 31 seconds before they experienced it! link

Then there was a tsunami warning three minutes after the initial shock. link

Giving people 15 minutes to get the heck outta there - if they received or heeded the warning. Unfortunately that isn't enough time for some less able people.

AlmondFacialBar
796605.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote

European hospitals now have apparently offered to help out with bone marrow transplants should the need arise and my company is running out of frontline monitoring supplies because we're shipping them there. It's getting a tad scary...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
796690.  Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote

Reading that article, I'm not sure I agree with how the British media has reported about Japan.

While I'm not overly happy with the reporting anyway, I don't think there was suggestion that Japan was small or that Tokyo was severely affected.

From what that blogger wrote I think it says more about his friends and relatives than the media itself.

sjb
797141.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/dog-in-japan-stays-by-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble

'yorz
797150.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that, sjb. I see that there's an update ; both have been rescued. I'll tell my brother who told me about the dogs, but he hadn't heard that last bit.
Small drop.

'yorz
797152.  Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Thought - it's over a year now that Haiti was struck. Not a lot has been done there so far .

Peter Dow
798429.  Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote

Japanese deference is a poor defence against disaster

BBC: Japan Earthquake

One week after a large earthquake and resulting tsunami in Japan, the estimated numbers killed is in excess of 15,000 - so far.

The earthquake is a natural event and no-one's fault.

The consequential deaths arise not only from the earthquake but also from the limitations of any disaster preparations.

For example, if the Japanese authorities had prohibited the building of towns, villages and houses in low lying coastal land, especially where no massive sea-walls or dams to hold back any tsunami have been constructed to defend the land, then many lives could have been saved.

So the deaths are indeed someone's fault, the fault of those responsible for the failings of limited disaster preparation, the fault of the authorities who in Japan are ministers of a "constitutional" monarchy where the constitution in question was designed and still is today, to some extent, overseen by the U.S.A.

The influence of the USA has been to mitigate this human disaster even if the US was not able to help the Japanese to defend against it entirely.

It could have been much worse.

Compare and contrast the human death toll in the Haiti earthquake which although nominally a republic, in practice has suffered dictatorship and had much less US input and much less true democratic republican influence in recent generations. US forces left Haiti in 1934 but arrived in Japan in 1945.

The earthquake in Haiti was about one hundred times weaker though killed about 10 times as many people.

It is a testimony to the strength of the Japanese economy that an earthquake of this magnitude could well lead to a strengthening of the value of the Japanese Yen!

Few, and not me anyway, would dare to try to tell the Japanese how to make cameras or integrated circuits or motorbikes or cars or hundreds of other consumer goods which they sell throughout the world.

I do say however, that republicans could reasonably advise the Japanese people and nation not to be so trusting and deferential towards their own Japanese government, state and emperor. The Japanese should question more, protest more.

If Japan had had Japanese republican freedom and robust debate instead of traditional Japanese deference and politeness towards the Japanese government then disaster preparations might have been better and might have saved many lives this week.

Emperors and monarchs and the attitudes of deference they promote are lethal for the people and should be opposed.

Therefore as

• Prince William visits Christchurch to be seen to sympathise over the earthquake deaths there and so boost his popularity for his own selfish reasons of wanting to defend his royal privileges and

• the Japanese Emperor Akihito goes on TV to be seen to sympathise over the earthquake deaths there and so boost his popularity for his own selfish reasons of wanting to defend his royal privileges,

then republicans the world over should identify those royals correctly as a significant cause of the number of deaths that could have and should have been avoided, even though the earthquakes could not have been prevented.

Yes, blame the royals, blame the kingdoms' governments, protest and try to make sure that the next people to have a building collapse down upon them or the next to be drowned are those evil, selfish royals instead of the people they subject themselves upon.

<Sentences excised by Jenny for legal reasons.>

If the nations of the world really wanted to protect the likely victims of future earthquakes in the kingdoms and dictatorships of the world then this is the sort of robust republican revolutionary action which freedom fighters of the nations would plan and carry out to protect the people from these royal disasters.

Ending this post on a wry note, I have suggested a new word definition for the Urban dictionary.

Quote:
fukushima

to fukushima - to further break or to utterly destroy something while ineptly trying to fix it

fukushima'd / fukushimaed / fukushimad - further broken or utterly destroyed as a result of inept attempts to fix it

As in, "my mobile phone's screen was dirty so I put it in the washing machine but I am afraid I totally fukushimaed it."

tags: botch, bungle, bodge, mess up, screw up, etc.

Page 5 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next