View previous topic | View next topic

Libya

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Neotenic
858067.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I would guess that a group of pumped up soldiers in the middle of a firefight found they had the man, so they dragged him out and shot him without reference to higher authority.

Yeah, that's pretty much my reading of it too - it's not so much a disregard of due legal process by the NTC, but a spur-of-the-moment grab for glory by probably a single individual with both the means and the opportunity.

I would imagine that the million dollar bounty, plus the bragging rights for being the man that finally and definitively ended him would be powerful motivators, too.

Sadurian Mike
858071.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
PDR wrote:
I deplore the manner of his death, but I can't say I mourn his passing.

Likewise. But the manner of his death doesn't bode well for the future of Libya under whatever future government it chooses for itself. (What's more, we cannot discount the possibility that it may choose a hardline Islamist government for itself. Which is its right, but is not a choice that would be welcomed in the west.)

Can you think of any countries or forms of government where people are not killed outside the law?

Given the circumstances, I cannot say I'm surprised that he was killed out of hand (assuming that is what happened). If we say that his being murdered (which it technically classes as) is a black mark against a Libyan government, then we must also take every murder as a black mark against the controlling government.

suze
858079.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote

No, I cannot think of any such country.

But there are ways and ways. If for some reason I had to kill someone, then I'd do it with a gun - at least it would be quick, if I were accurate in my shooting. (Which I probably wouldn't be, but it's reasonable to assume that a professional soldier would.)

We're fortunate enough in the UK that our politicians are rarely assassinated, but that is how it would probably be done. Similarly in the US, where presidents unfortunately do get assassinated from time to time. That does not seem to be what happened in Libya.

CB27
858171.  Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I suppose one of the positive things to come out of it is that on the footage of him being led out and still alive you can hear some people reminding others that they want him kept alive to be brought back to authorities, it's a get out clause for the new Government.

'yorz
858307.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking down at the body of Colonel Gadaffi, Firuz al-Maghri, a 55-year old schoolteacher who had been allowed into the barracks by a friend in the opposition militia, shook his head as he recalled a brother and a cousin who had died in Tripoli's Abu Salim prison, a place of fear and despair. "Twelve hundred prisoners were murdered there", he said. "It is difficult for outsiders to understand, but he was responsible for so many lives lost, families who never found out what happened to those who disappeared. We feared him, I was afraid. But seeing him like this...".
Captain Rahim Abu-Bakr, an engineer who became a fighter, patted Mr Maghri's shoulder. "It does not matter", he said. "He cannot hurt people any longer. What happened at the end to him and his son was bound to happen. But this was a bad death. I do not like being here".

Not all bloodlust.

PDR
858378.  Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
But there are ways and ways. If for some reason I had to kill someone, then I'd do it with a gun - at least it would be quick, if I were accurate in my shooting.

Generally I'd agree, although it isn't necessary when culling cyclists because (as has been proven scientifically) cyclists haven't evolved a nervous system and so don't feel pain.

PDR

Page 17 of 17
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17