View previous topic | View next topic

Radium

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

laidbacklazyman
35309.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:17 am Reply with quote

Just coming in on the whole radium thing, I tend to ignore I'm right and you're wrong debates but it strikes that a lot of what you said in post 34874 is contradictory to what you have been saying.

Correct me if I'm misreading the post but the only constant in the equation is the radium yet you say that the show is wrong to say that radium fluoresces. The phosphor is the thing that is changing yet you are insistant that this is the cause of the effect.

If that were the case why doesn't glass fluoresce naturally. If it is the phosor causes the glow then surely it follows that the glow comes from the phosphor and it should always glow.

Unless of course it is the reaction with the radium that causes the glow in which case what exactly is the problem?

gerontius grumpus
35314.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:29 am Reply with quote

No it's much simpler than that, the Radium causes the phosphor to fluoresce which is the point I was making from the start.

I thought it would be quite interesting to discuss.

I'll try to remember to switch off the growl.

laidbacklazyman
35435.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote

So just for the record here then, you pulled up the shows researchers by saying what they said was correct.

Rory Gilmore
35438.  Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote

No, what Gerontius grumpus is saying is that it's not the radium itself that glows, but the air and reacted radium which surrounds it.

dr.bob
35701.  Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:38 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Also radiation from nuclear fuel stored under water causes the water to fluoresce.

This is actually a Quite Interesting phenomenon. It is caused by subatomic particles emitted by the radioactive material entering the water so fast that they actually find themselves travelling faster than the speed of light in that medium.

(N.B. nothing can travel faster than "light in a vacuum", but the speed of light in water is considerably slower than the speed of light in a vacuum)

The result of a particle travelling faster than light is to excite the water atoms in such a way that is produces a particular form of coherent blue light. This is known as Cherenkov Radtiation.

Guess it's too late to include that in the 'C' series

Celebaelin
35711.  Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:07 am Reply with quote

It's worth squirreling away for another time though. Faster than light in water, Cherenkov Radiation, *opens mental file*.

Fantastic, thanks.

Flash
35726.  Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote

Quite right. Duly squirreled.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2