View previous topic | View next topic

National No Bra Day is happening now!

Page 15 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

NinOfEden
899019.  Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote

I'm unconvinced by bra measuring. I have been measured, + use it as a general guide, but the only way to know if a bra is going to be comfy + do what you want it to is to try on a few different sizes + see which is best. Sizes vary a significant amount between brands + shops, some styles have more give in them than others, plus factors such as strap thickness + how many hooks there are at the back have a large bearing on how comfy + useful a bra is.

 
'yorz
899022.  Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote

Now that I know my size, I can buy them (new) on eBay. Never had cause to return one.

 
suze
899031.  Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't do that unless I'd already owned a bra from the same range - sizes really do vary between ranges.

But for sure, buying bras online from a British or Irish manufacturer will usually lead to acceptable results, perhaps with a bit of adjustment.

Be wary of buying from a North American manufacturer though - American cups are about half a size larger than the same lettered British cup, so about half of women who are best suited by an American C cup require a D cup in Britain. (I didn't know this for more than a decade, and so until I got measured I was buying bras smaller than I really needed.)


@Nin. While you're quite right to say that bra measuring is not an exact science, there's still a good reason to get measured by the severe tape measure lady. When you try the bra on, she'll be able to tell whether or not it's the right size for you - which a lot of women get wrong for themselves. (Seriously. Not only do most women wear the wrong size, but a lot of women don't recognize the right size even when they have it on.)

 
strawhat
899131.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote

I irritatingly bought a bra from a manufacturer that I normally buy from, in the size I normally get, only to have the damn thing turn out just a little bit to small. Boob flop-age is so annoying.

 
NinOfEden
899163.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
@Nin. While you're quite right to say that bra measuring is not an exact science, there's still a good reason to get measured by the severe tape measure lady. When you try the bra on, she'll be able to tell whether or not it's the right size for you - which a lot of women get wrong for themselves. (Seriously. Not only do most women wear the wrong size, but a lot of women don't recognize the right size even when they have it on.)

I got measuered about 6 months ago, + was told I was a 32 instead of the 36 I'd been convinced I was previously. So the Nice Lady brought me some 32s to try on, only to find I couldn't even fasten them, so she decided I must be a 34. I tried on a 34 + said it felt tight, but she assured me that they're meant to be tight + it would gradually ease up after a few wash 'n' wear cycles. So I bought the 34, + have been wearing it a fair amount, but it's still uncomfortably tight. To the point that the hooks have actually bent out of shape.

 
'yorz
899179.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote

Quote:
When you try the bra on, she'll be able to tell whether or not it's the right size for you - which a lot of women get wrong for themselves. (Seriously. Not only do most women wear the wrong size, but a lot of women don't recognize the right size even when they have it on.)


And even worse - women are often oblivious of the fact that you don't just hang the thing around your shoulders and fasten the hooks. You have to properly fill it by bending forwards, lifting the breast into the cup, and making sure that all the breast tissue, also from the sides, is gathered inside the cups. Otherwise you get the unsightly result you often see - spillage from the sides, and even the breast partly sticking out from underneath the bra. And only then do you adjust the straps (if required). If you adjust first, you tend to get the bra riding high on the shoulderblades, which completely nullifies the supporting function of the garment.

 
NinOfEden
899197.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote

You can generally tell though, whether it's giving enough support or not. If you can't, there's no point wearing one at all.

 
cornixt
899202.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote

strawhat wrote:
Boob flop-age is so annoying.

Something you'll never hear a man say.

 
suze
899208.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
You can generally tell though, whether it's giving enough support or not. If you can't, there's no point wearing one at all.


When it comes down to it, there is often no point wearing one at all - the main reason that most women wear a bra most of the time is ultimately fashion.

The oft-made claim that we "need" a bra for support just isn't true - the breasts will support themselves if we let them. (Which by and large we don't. The wearing of a bra causes the muscles which support the breasts to become redundant, and so they have to trudge sadly off to the Jobcentre rather than doing the job they are there for.)

Bounceage is a real issue though - quite apart from being uncomfortable, it can lead to permanent tissue damage. For that reason, biomechanics experts reckon that the woman who is E cup or larger does need to wear a bra for walking, and the woman who is C or D cup needs one for vigorous activity like running or sports.

The woman who is B cup or smaller doesn't really need a bra at all - and the main reason that that woman probably does wear one is "because everybody else does".

The biomechanicists tend not to mention this bit, but the woman who is C cup or larger ought really to wear a bra for sex. Most don't.

 
'yorz
899235.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:36 am Reply with quote

How come then that footage of mature female members of tribes that trundle around with naked torsos hardly ever show breasts that are not sagging. Or is enduring natural pertness only feasible if not subjected to breast feeding?

 
Jenny
899245.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Saggage is related to pregnancy, not to breast feeding. When you get pregnant, whether you plan to breast feed or not, the glandular tissue that produces milk will develop because of pregnancy hormones. Even if you don't breastfeed at all, you will still lactate and be uncomfortable for a week or so until the milk dries up (which it will, if it's not stimulated by the milk being removed either by the baby feeding or by being pumped). So I'm afraid if you have children at all, you're doomed to saggage at some point.

 
cornixt
899251.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
How come then that footage of mature female members of tribes that trundle around with naked torsos hardly ever show breasts that are not sagging. Or is enduring natural pertness only feasible if not subjected to breast feeding?


Could also be genetics. What's that African tribe with the awesomely large bottoms?

 
Strawberry
899258.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote

It mentions about Africans and big bottoms here.

 
NinOfEden
899259.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Bounceage is a real issue though - quite apart from being uncomfortable, it can lead to permanent tissue damage. For that reason, biomechanics experts reckon that the woman who is E cup or larger does need to wear a bra for walking, and the woman who is C or D cup needs one for vigorous activity like running or sports.

The woman who is B cup or smaller doesn't really need a bra at all - and the main reason that that woman probably does wear one is "because everybody else does".

I remember when I was in my early teens, I used to wear one some of the time but not every day. I think I was about a B when I relised that going downstairs without one kinda hurt.
What do the experts say about wearing one to sleep in?

 
Spud McLaren
899261.  Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
What's that African tribe with the awesomely large bottoms?
Don't know, but I bet Beyoncé Knowles belongs to it.

 

Page 15 of 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group