Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

legspin
793342.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote

donte's candle wrote:
legspin wrote:
With regards the cricket yesterday ...

Ahaha Ahahahahahahaha etc

i know one day no one cares about cricket and the next day it is everyones favourite sport

Granted, cricket is seen by many as the ulitmate garrison game here but I'm not sure your statement holds true in this case.

Beating the Sasannachs at anything is always fun (given our history of course) but to do it at the quintessential english game and as part-timers versus professionals, it was a bit of Spanish inquisition moment and almost as torturous to watch.

suze
793346.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:37 am Reply with quote

Coming from a country where we derive national pride from beating the USA at anything, I can well believe that!

Although it's a bit of a stretch to define the Irish team as "part-timers", to be fair. Of the fifteen members of the Irish squad, thirteen are full time professionals (nine contracted to English counties and four to Cricket Ireland). That's more full timers than Zimbabwe has, and comparable with the numbers that Bangladesh, New Zealand, and the West Indies have.

Meanwhile, the ICC plans to have only ten teams at the next World Cup, and the suggestion seems to be that this will exclude Ireland and the Netherlands - even though they are probably better than Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. Eight automatic spots and two qualifiers would surely be a better way to go, but apparently India is opposed to any such idea.

legspin
793348.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote

I didn't realise the proportion of county players was that high.

donte's candle
793480.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote

legspin wrote:
donte's candle wrote:
legspin wrote:
With regards the cricket yesterday ...

Ahaha Ahahahahahahaha etc

i know one day no one cares about cricket and the next day it is everyones favourite sport

Granted, cricket is seen by many as the ulitmate garrison game here but I'm not sure your statement holds true in this case.

Beating the Sasannachs at anything is always fun (given our history of course) but to do it at the quintessential english game and as part-timers versus professionals, it was a bit of Spanish inquisition moment and almost as torturous to watch.

i mean in comparison to gaa and soccer etc. you have to admit it isn't (or at least wasn't very popular) and it isnt regularly broadcast on rte or tg4
P.S. i am not trying to sound like a smart arse but it is kind of hard to avoid it on this forum

suze
793486.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote

At the last World Cup, there was a rather good Irish commentator whom RTÉ had sent to the tournament. He doesn't seem to be there this time; is that down to money?

I also get the impression that interest in cricket in Ireland is largely confined to the North and Dublin. In the South outside Dublin, do very many people have any interest at all?

(Actually, it's comparable in Canada. There's a reasonable cricket following in Toronto, Vancouver, and Vancouver Island, but practically zero elsewhere.)

legspin
793506.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
At the last World Cup, there was a rather good Irish commentator whom RTÉ had sent to the tournament. He doesn't seem to be there this time; is that down to money?

I also get the impression that interest in cricket in Ireland is largely confined to the North and Dublin. In the South outside Dublin, do very many people have any interest at all?

(Actually, it's comparable in Canada. There's a reasonable cricket following in Toronto, Vancouver, and Vancouver Island, but practically zero elsewhere.)

Most of the major urban areas would have at least one cricket club and club formation is gathering speed. Dublin of course has the most clubs down south, mainly on the south side of the city. Nth Co. Dublin has quite a few as well. I play for one of them up there. Cork has at least four and would dominate Munster. Ulster has enough teams for two separate leagues

I didn't play until I was 19. We moved back to the Rep. of Ire when I was nine. Where we moved (the sth west) to even mentioning the game would get you looked at funny at the very least but while I was in the local Technical college some brave souls in the local rugby club set up a cricket team (for a laugh primarilly I have always thought). It took and they are still going.

suze
793512.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, legspin. Who knows what the future holds - especially since the powers that be don't want the likes of Ireland in their World Cup - but husband reckons that a wager on Ireland to be the next Test Match nation would be a sound investment.

Cricket in Canada has had an odd history. One hundred years ago, the Canadian team (and indeed the American team) was probably not far behind the teams of countries like New Zealand - but there was money in baseball, and none in cricket.

There followed a long period in which cricket was largely the preserve of the white upper middle class of Toronto, before a team composed mostly of immigrants from the Caribbean saw Canada reach the World Cup in 1979. There were three white men of Canadian birth in that squad, but the guys who are the age to be those men's sons tend to play baseball or rugby union* (a summer sport in Canada) rather.

Since then - and as in Britain - the South Asian community has rather supplanted the Caribbean community as the source of cricketers. One look at the names of this year's Canadian squad would leave that in no doubt.

But there are by now two Canada-born Asians on the team, and that's likely to be the way forward. As for white Canadians, well of course there's been John Davison - but although he was born in BC, he's an Aussie first and foremost; his parents were in Canada on a teaching exchange from Aus. In any case, Davo has by now hit the big 40 and this is surely his last major tournament (especially since he was dropped for the last game). But last year's Under-15 squad included both white and black players of Canadian birth alongside the Asian majority.

* Rugby union in Canada has its own problems, some of them caused by the geographically awkward fact of the main playing strength being in Vancouver and Newfoundland. Newf has semi-seriously considered seeking to affiliate to Ireland rather than Canada, since Dublin is actually one thousand miles nearer than is Vancouver!

samivel
793531.  Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, but it's not as easy to drive to.

suze
793619.  Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote

The difficult of driving from Newf to Vancouver is precisely equal to the difficulty of driving from Newf to Dublin - that is to say, you can't do either thing.

On the other hand, it's not as easy to fly to. It's a sad fact, but at present there are no scheduled flights east from Newfoundland - anyone wanting to fly from Newfoundland to Europe must travel via either Halifax or Toronto. A person wanting to travel from Newfoundland to the Azores - which are 900 miles west of Portugal and 1,500 miles east of Newf - would have to fly via Toronto and Lisbon.

This is a downside of progress, unfortunately. It used to be that airplanes from Europe to the west coast of North America needed to refuel en route - and Gander Airport was a convenient place for them to do that. But no longer is a refueling stop needed, which arguably leaves Newfoundland more isolated from Europe than it has been for one thousand years.

bobwilson
793798.  Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
which arguably leaves Newfoundland more isolated from Europe than it has been for one thousand years

and is there a downside?

legspin
793820.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote

There was a boxing tournament held every year called the Celtic Youths. As the name suggests it was held between 15 and 16 year olds from Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Brittany and Newfoundland.

samivel
793850.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote

Did Cornwall and the Isle of Man just not enter, or were they snubbed for not being Celtic enough?

legspin
793900.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote

Actually I do think Cornwall was involved but not the Isle of Man.

It was the newefoundland bit I found strange until I was told that it was 'coz of all the Irish immigrants to that area

Efros
793910.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote

There's a lot of Scots up that way too, they held the Royal National Mod in Nova Scotia a while back , there were more Scottish Gaelic only speakers there than there was in Scotland, not difficult to achieve as the last single language Gaelic speakers in Scotland died in the early 70s.

suze
793929.  Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote

There are still a couple of thousand speakers of Cape Breton Gaelic (i.e. Scottish Gaelic, although the distinctive pronunciation means that Scottish Gaels sometimes find it hard to understand). There are probably no first language speakers any more, largely because the use of Gaelic was more or less illegal during WWII (kids speaking Gaelic in school were beaten, and to use it on the telephone was an arrestable offence).

Newfoundland Irish is about gone by now - ten people on The Rock claimed it as their first language in the 2001 census, but no one has ever managed to find any of them. In truth, it was probably extinct as a first language by about 1930, and only a handful are by now able to speak it at all.

But there absolutely is a clear Irish influence on the English spoken in Newfoundland - especially among older people away from St John's.

Listen, for instance, to this sound clip (.mp3). The speaker who introduces the clip is an Irishman of longstanding residence in Canada, but the guy who follows and talks about rainbows is a Newfoundlander.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next