View previous topic | View next topic

Fast Food

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
67794.  Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote

What would be the effect of eating nothing but McDonalds for a month?

The only case most of us would know about is the film "Supersize me", but what do you think about this article, documenting two other fast-food-only diets?

Quote:
In summary, neither of our McDieters were exactly on target with respect to the distribution of calories from fat, saturated fat, or with respect to their vitamin and mineral intake. Some of their eating errors could have been corrected by making different choices among those offered at McDonalds restaurants -- for example, more salads, fewer egg products, low or nonfat dairy products. Their dietary issues simply underscore the difficulty of obtaining appropriate amounts of nutrients when one either restricts calorie intake or the variety of eating choices. Happily, the health of neither one seems to have suffered in the least, and most indicators of health actually improved, in direct contradiction to Morgan Spurlocks assertions that fast food is bad and bad for you.

swot
67988.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Was that trial sponsored by McDonalds by any chance?

[/cynicism]

If you ate in McDonalds all the time you'd end up stinking if chip fat and if you ate chips every day you'd eventually look like one (or so my mother told me. Who am I to doubt her wisdom?)

djgordy
67991.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:

If you ate in McDonalds all the time you'd end up stinking if chip fat and if you ate chips every day you'd eventually look like one (or so my mother told me. Who am I to doubt her wisdom?)

Much as I don't eat McDonalds, being a vegetarian, there is nothing wrong with them for non-veggies, from a health point of view as long as they are part of a balanced diet. If people suffer from malbesity because they eat nothing but fast food then the problem is bad education and it isn't the fault of McDonalds.

Even foods that are 'good for you' will be harmful if you don't balance your diet. Bananas are very nutritious but if you eat too many you'll get potassium poisoning.

BondiTram
68001.  Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
[ Bananas are very nutritious but if you eat too many you'll get potassium poisoning.

And there's me thinking that was indigestion!

Having said that it is only green and also yellow ones that have that effect, the blacker the better. Also left long enough they ferment and you can get a little light headed! Mind you that could be the added liqueurs.

laidbacklazyman
68017.  Mon May 01, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote

That's the thing with all of the food nannies, everything is harmful, your forfathers ate things together for a reason. A classic example that springs to mind is rhubarb and custard. The rhubarb has a toxin in it which is nulified by an enzyme in the dairy.

All you need to do is eat a balanced diet and you'll be fine

wilburrobert
68021.  Mon May 01, 2006 3:26 am Reply with quote

I heard that they use rhubarb leaves to make Cyanide.
hence why you can never buy rhubarb with the leaves still on.

I think that MacDonalds have done nothing wrong.
It's the lack of education given to american (and now sadly british) children (and parents) concerning nutrition.

Maybe parents are just too lazy (or uneducated) to cook proper meals.

My parents frequently cook. and we dont slob about in front of the tv whiles't eating either.

The odd maccie's visit didnt do me any harm :p

grizzly
68030.  Mon May 01, 2006 4:15 am Reply with quote

There is of course the suspicion that some of the fats in MacDonald's (and a lot of other foods) are addictive.

Celebaelin
68056.  Mon May 01, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote

laidbacklazyman wrote:
A classic example that springs to mind is rhubarb and custard. The rhubarb has a toxin in it which is nulified by an enzyme in the dairy.

I've heard something like this, but toxin covers a vast range of degrees of potential harm and I'm fairly sure that it is not the same substance as is being referred to by

wilburrobert wrote:
I heard that they use rhubarb leaves to make Cyanide.
hence why you can never buy rhubarb with the leaves still on.

The reason for which is not cyanide but oxalic acid (a calcium chelator). I somehow doubt that they are used to make oxalic acid although I dare say you could extract moderately pure oxalic acid from them.

suze
68065.  Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote

From what I remember of Chemistry way back when, I think the industrial production of oxalic acid is a process involving sodium formate and sulfuric acid - extraction from rhubarb leaves sounds a bit fiddly to me.

As for hydrogen cyanide, that really is contained in peach stones - so maybe peaches should be sold ready stoned. Steve McQueen is often claimed to have died from cyanide poisoning in rather unfortunate circumstances. He had cancer, and was being treated for it in Mexico. The treatment used involved him taking peach stones anally on a regular basis, and while cyanide does indeed kill cancer cells it kills people as well.

Hydrogen cyanide reacts with cigarette smoke to create an unpleasant smell and taste, thus alerting a lab worker that he is at risk. For this reason, smoking is sometimes permitted in labs where the workers are at risk of accidental cyanide poisoning.

Celebaelin
68070.  Mon May 01, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote

Jesus! Anyone want to do the risk assessment on that one? Hydrogen cyanide is just about THE most dangerous substance known to man, whilst weight for weight it may not be as toxic as some bacterial toxins

Quote:
An aerosolized or foodborne botulinum toxin weapon would cause acute symmetric, descending flaccid paralysis with prominent bulbar palsies such as diplopia, dysarthria, dysphonia, and dysphagia that would typically present 12 to 72 hours after exposure. Effective response to a deliberate release of botulinum toxin will depend on timely clinical diagnosis, case reporting, and epidemiological investigation. Persons potentially exposed to botulinum toxin should be closely observed, and those with signs of botulism require prompt treatment with antitoxin and supportive care that may include assisted ventilation for weeks or months. Treatment with antitoxin should not be delayed for microbiological testing.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/285/8/1059

Quote:
Botulinum toxin is "the most poisonous substance known," says Stephen S. Arnon, M.D., head of the Infant Botulism Prevention Program at the California Department of Health Services. For this reason, anyone with symptoms of botulism should receive emergency treatment and public health officials should be notified to locate the source of the contamination and prevent other cases.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/095_bot.html

the problem with HCN is that it has a molecular weight of 27, is a gas at the range of temperatures humans will encounter it and will pass straight through your skin as the CN- ion is small and fat soluble. It is a specific inhibitor of the Krebs cycle and as such reduces your ATP production by 90%. This renders you incapable of supporting your own metabolic funtions and you die. In about 10 seconds given sufficient exposure. When using cyanide (KCN solution) in an undergrad* lab we were once told that

'the antidote is here, if you think you've been exposed get over here and take some, it will make you very ill but it's not as bad as cyanide. There is a school of thought that if you can make it to the antidote you don't need it, but personally I wouldn't risk it. This is the one instance when you may, if you wish, run in this lab. but that might speed up the passage of the CN- into your bloodstream - up to you.'

Personally I'm not convinced that there is an effective antidote to cyanide but you might as well try it if you were in that unenviable position.

I'd want a bit more protection than 'Keep a Bennies on the go and you should be able to smell it if we've got a leak.'

* postgrads should just be aware - don't fuck about with this stuff, it'll kill you.

tetsabb
68077.  Mon May 01, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote

Is that how they sort out the grads and undergrads?
Survival?

Celebaelin
68088.  Mon May 01, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote

Tempting, very tempting. But only after you're the right side of that inequality of course. Mild disdain usually suffices but I have to confess to sullying my hands with (*hochhh, spit*) undergraduates from time to time.

suze
68096.  Mon May 01, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Jesus! Anyone want to do the risk assessment on that one? Hydrogen cyanide is just about THE most dangerous substance known to man, whilst weight for weight it may not be as toxic as some bacterial toxins

I think you are quite right that the Health and Safety chaps might have a few problems there, and I am entirely happy if my personal exposure to cyanide goes no further than "this stuff is really rather dangerous. Don't go anywhere near it."

All the same, if it's actually true that cyanide mixed with cigarette smoke creates this foul stuff at a stage when you haven't yet died of cyanide poisoning, then I guess it's worth knowing!

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_Cyanide

"Hydrogen cyanide forms a foul-tasting compound when it combines with tobacco smoke. For this reason, some chemists choose to have a lit cigarette in their mouth while they are working with it, as they receive an early warning against possible cyanide poisoning."

DON'T try this at home ...

dr.bob
68174.  Tue May 02, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_Cyanide

"Hydrogen cyanide forms a foul-tasting compound when it combines with tobacco smoke. For this reason, some chemists choose to have a lit cigarette in their mouth while they are working with it, as they receive an early warning against possible cyanide poisoning."

That's rather strange, since Hydrogen Cyanide is one of the components of cigarette smoke. So why doesn't the HCN already there produce this foul-tasting compound?

Although, given how foul-tasting cigarettes are, perhaps it already does, and they only notice it if it becomes even more foul-tasting. Either way, it seems a bit daft to expose yourself to HCN to try and prevent exposure to HCN :)

BondiTram
68184.  Tue May 02, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

Did anyone see 'New Tricks' last night? Daft plot but as always well written and acted, however, when they got to the bit about the toxicity of old dogs livers I had to cover the greyhound's ears up. The spaniel, of course, is deaf, and continued to sleep peacefully - blissfully unaware!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next