View previous topic | View next topic

Think 21.

Page 20 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

AlmondFacialBar
801235.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:55 am Reply with quote

14. Middle Rhine Valley, Germany

(as we seem to be on a Germany roll anyway)
Setting of the myths of Loreley, the Niebelungen and St. George and the Dragon, beautiful wine region, choc-a-bloc with medieval castle ruins, and all set in the most amazing rolling hills around the Rhine at its most magnificent. When I found myself travelling the entire length of it on a train between Cologne and Heidelberg on a sunny day a couple of years ago I had my nose pressed against the window for the entire two hours. It's just so beautiful, and so rich in history and myth that you can't look away.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

sjb
801246.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote

#15 Old Town of Segovia and its Aqueduct, Spain (sorry to break the Germany roll :P)

Segovia was a lovely town and I was very sorry to only spend one day there. The aqueduct was impressive, but not overly so. I really enjoyed visiting the Alcázar--the history was palpable. It's also the inspiration for the castle as Disney World. I have to say, the DW castle pales in comparison. :)

AlmondFacialBar
801270.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote

Isn't the Disney Castle inspired by Neuschwanstein? Anyways...

16. Göreme National Park and the Rock Sites of Cappadocia, Turkey

A total trip! A huge area of soft Tuff rock eroded into the most amazing shapes (google Valley of Love and you'll see why it's called that... *snigger*), early Christian churches and monastic sites carved into the mountains, with amazingly well preserved artwork, a whole subterranean city, breathtaking views whereever you go - just WOW! Hiking boots territory, mind you. I went up one of these mountains in Chucks and nearly ended up 1000 feet below in a gorge. That volcanic rock makes for very very slippery dust... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

sjb
801273.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:57 am Reply with quote

The Disney World castle is based on the Alcázar de Segovia; the Disney Land castle is based on Neuschwanstein. :) (Or so I've been told, and tend to agree just looking at 'em.)

#17 City of Cuzco, Peru

The landscape around Cuzco is so breathtaking. Not to mention, the altitude will take your breath if you're not prepared for it. (We flew in from Lima, but thankfully had altitude sickness pills to ease the transition.) We were there during the Fiestas Patrias (major national holidays), so the place was decked out and full of revelers. Can't beat it. :)

AlmondFacialBar
801307.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:14 am Reply with quote

18. Grand Place/ Groote Markt, Brussels, Belgium

A textbook 18th century market square of a prosperous Flamish city. Beautiful and well-preserved, and thank goodness so big that it doesn't seem half as overrun with tourists as it actually is. (HEY! I don't count as one! I was actually living there at the time! ;-)). What's lovely about it is that, in contrast to, say, the World Heritage Sites of Tuscany, this is actually a living, breathing urban space. It's got the Flower Market, a lovely Christmas Market, good craft shops and restaurants, a bunch of cosy pubs in the vicinity and a serious traffic problem all around it. I'd go back anytime. :-)

AlmondFacialBar

sjb
802454.  Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote

#19 Monticello and the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia

In all honesty, I only visited UofVirginia--didn't quite make it to Monticello. :P I visited late in July a couple of years ago and it was very much like stepping back in time 200-ish years. Much, MUCH more so than Williamsburg, which I visited on the same trip. It was very beautiful. One of my favorite parts was coming across Edgar Allan Poe's lodgings (which is still part of university student housing). I had forgotten he went to uni there. To top it all off, my biological father went to law school there about 40 years ago. The law school is really quite nice but not part of the old campus.

AlmondFacialBar
802734.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote

20. Historic Centre of Salzburg, Austria

Beautiful! It's one of those places where you feel the presence of the greats who lived and worked there, a bit like in Weimar (another World Heritage Site). The place is, needless to say, brimming with Mozart souvenir kitsch, but I was lucky enough to have a Salzburg native, music historian, Mozart aficionado, Salzburg Festival worker friend to take me around town and that made it a very special experience, because she knew all the nooks and crannies around the place that were connected with Mozart and Haydn in less obvious ways than the ones on the usual tourist trail. Loved it. :-)

Is it just me or should this be its own thread? There's a bunches of interesting World Cultural Heritage Sites out there someone here is bound to have been to and can describe for the benefit of other posters.

AlmondFacialBar

Posital
802772.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote

21. The Dorset and East Devon Coast World Heritage Site is England's first natural World Heritage Site - it is known as The Jurassic Coast. It covers 95 miles of truly stunning coastline from East Devon to Dorset, with rocks recording 185 million years of the Earth's history.

World Heritage status was achieved because of the site's unique insight into the Earth Sciences as it clearly depicts a geological ‘walk through time' spanning the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods.

I love it down there - Lulworth - Durdle Door - Swanage - Studland - Portland...

Now: 21 British Seaside Resorts you've visited - noting deckchair availability...

Ainee
802777.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Drat! Missed it!

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
And good on Legspin for Newgrange, amazing place! :-)

Seconded! I was going to snip in at 21 with the Megalithic Mound of Gavrinis in Brittany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavrinis

And Almond, you are included on our QI Girls' Cruise to discover the Capadocian Eve! Has anyone here got a nice big yacht to lend us?

1. Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I recreated it life size in Second Life, with all the Trams and Piers and Lighting Displays, plus fizzing (not banging) fireworks. And the Ballroom WOW!

And the Tower, and the icecreams and the lacy benches along the Promenade. I'd upload photos if I knew how.

And also, I was paid real money for doing it. Virtual Work?
I love it!

Deckchairs in SL (SecondLife.com) could be rezzed at need, with elegant poses, and I made seven different deckchair striped fabrics. In RL, (Real Life) the deckchairs were tatty and several blew away in the biting gritty wind, which covered my ice cream in its passing.

Edited to 1, as I thought I would be second instead of last, lol.

NinOfEden
1105755.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote

2. Cleethorpes.
I don't remember ever seeing any deckchairs for hire there, although they do have a funfair on the beach. So if you don't mind being swung round in the air a bit, it's OK.

Big Martin
1105942.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote

3. Weston-Super-Mare.

OK, due to the fact that the Severn/Bristol Channel has the 2nd highest tidal range in the world, the tide doesn't just go out - more like "fuck off". But, as a kid, it had all the things you'd want - a sandy beach for sandcastles, donkey rides, amusements on the pier and a rock shop. I also think there are deckchairs for hire.

sally carr
1106001.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote

4. Hastings and St Leonards, on the South Coast of England. When I was a child there were LOTS of deckchairs for hire. You could also hire canvas windbreaks. These could be quite hard to put up because the beaches are shingle. The sand only appears when the tide is out.
Hastings has lots to see. The castle, caves, the old fishing town, the fishing boats launch off the beach because there is no harbour and they dry the nets in tall black sheds.

bemahan
1106046.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote

5. Porthcawl on the South Wales coast.

Massive sandy family beach with funfair, donkeys and deckchairs. Stalls selling beach towels, windbreaks, buckets and spades and flags for your sandcastles. Dubious looking beachside pub. Harbour. Rather run down.

Awitt
1106628.  Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote

6. Brighton in Victoria, Australia. My childhood stamping ground, a corner of the sand with broken shells and rocks to 'climb/walk over'.

Efros
1238313.  Mon May 29, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote

7. Portobello Beach, Edinburgh. A couple of miles from the city centre this was our destination for a family day out whenever we lived in Edinburgh in the 60s. Dependent on public transport, my Dad eschewed driving until he left the Navy in 1977, it was only 2 bus rides away from Haymarket where we lived. I vividly remember days spent there as we rarely did things like this as a family, curiously one of the things I remember most is the curious yellow bread finger rolls my Mum used to buy for such 'picnic' occasions. Not a sun worshipper's paradise, but on a nice day there was lots of sand and at both ends of the beach there are rocks which can keep any 8 year old and their Dad entertained for hours.

Page 20 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20