Ainee wrote:
# 18 The World

Oh, please! That should be the21!

Lol, ok.

# 21 The Fool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Waite_tarot_deck

Ok, my go:

21 World Heritage sacred sites you have visited (with brief comments):

Kilpeck Church, a unique sandstone box of writhing Pagan and newly Christianised sculpture. Exquisite.

Josie
799243.  Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote

#2 Acropolis, Athens

far too many people, far too much dust, not as impressive as Rome.

sjb
799297.  Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote

#3 Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA

I went last summer and had a ball! I figured, starting last summer, that I should visit as many local sites of interest as possible. I went with the spousal unit and his two youngest siblings (he has a lot). Parts of it were so amazingly breathtaking. Other parts were downright scary, which I quite like. :) Our guide was excellent.

(Great idea Ainee! Here is a list of World Heritage Sites if any one needs refreshing--http://whc.unesco.org/en/list)

Droid
799384.  Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote

#4 Pont du Gard, France

There's quite a good camp site nearby (or it was about 14 years ago when I was last there). I proposed to my now wife in the middle of it in the pouring rain, down on one knee. I also once found a praying mantis in the shrubbery near there. The walk over the top is not a good idea if you have any fear of heights but does give a good view of the area.

sjb
799391.  Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote

#5 Machu Picchu, Peru

I first learned about Machu Picchu when I was 7 and was instantly smitten, in a Wanderlust kind of way. I visited last (northern hemisphere) summer, while my knees could still tackle the Andes. It was mind-bogglingly beautiful. I still can't get over how green it was in the dry, wintertime. I hope I get to go back at least once more before I kick the bucket.

(Very nice, Droid!)

Ainee
799416.  Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote

sjbodell wrote:
#3 Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, USA

(Great idea Ainee! Here is a list of World Heritage Sites if any one needs refreshing--http://whc.unesco.org/en/list)

(Just a little beware! That list is strangely wrong: just see how many remote islands are included in the UK list, lol! Carry on...)

legspin
799423.  Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote

#6. Newgrange burial tomb

Within 25 mins of where I live.

sjb
799541.  Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote

#7 Banks of the Seine, Paris, France

Wasn't that crazy over it, or indeed Paris in general. We took a touristy boat down the river and I got a flippin' ear infection, it was so cold. In June. (Every other day was sweltering.) I did manage to take the best photo of the trip at sunset looking back toward Notre Dame. They were the only photos of Notre Dame I got in which the scaffolding didn't dominate the photo. It was under repair at the time. </gripe>

cherrycoke
799564.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 am Reply with quote

#8 Meda'in Saleh

Kind of like a mini Petra, sandstone carved tombs and temples in the desert of Saudi Arabia. Amazing place, if only for the feeling of how different it is from the rest of the country, both in landscape and history.

Posital
799568.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote

#9 Archaeological Monuments Zone of Xochicalco, MEX

An impressive fortified complex that I've visited a couple of times. A little off the beaten track (compared to Teotihuacan, Monte Albán & Palenque) but gives a real feel for the community that lived in these monuments.

It's poorly signposted - but a great little day's adventure from Cuernavaca - and very well preserved.

I can't believe how many ball courts there are in one place.

Tranquil.

sjb
799571.  Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:23 am Reply with quote

#10 El Escorial, Spain

The architecture and the surrounding countryside are beautiful. My favorite part was the chapel. (The chapel is the size of our local cathedral.) When we walked in, the organ(s) began to play Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor. Good times.

sjb
800153.  Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote

<whisper> Speaking of World Heritage Sites, my favorite person named David Mitchell ruminated a bit about them here just yesterday. </whisper>

Droid
801192.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote

#11 Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications, Sri Lanka

This was one of the places I visited on honeymoon, (and here was me thinking I've never visited any of the places that would be on the list) sadly most of what I remember about the place was that it didn't have lots of Dagobas, which was what the tour guides seemed to want to point out to us. Oh, and the grass (lawn type) had Mimosa pudica , the sensitive plant growing in amongst it.

AlmondFacialBar
801214.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote

12. Town Hall and Roland Statue, Bremen, Germany

The one on my doorstep at home. Beautiful and of much historical and architectural significance (or it wouldn't be one I guess). The Roland Statue, signifying Bremen's status as a Free Imperial City, is the oldest one still in existence, and the Town Hall was originally built in Gothic style in the early 15th century and then renovated in Weser Renaissance style about 200 years later. The entire old town in Bremen is gorgeous, with great shops and stalls, the cathedral, galleries and so much more. Love it! :-)

And good on Legspin for Newgrange, amazing place! :-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

sjb
801216.  Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:41 am Reply with quote

#13 Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin

What a wonderful island! I generally had a ball in Berlin, but my favorite spot was certainly Museum Island. My love for German neoclassical architecture began here with the Altes Museum. I had the time of my life climbing to the top of the Berliner Dom and I even got to see a wedding there. :)

Page 19 of 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next