What did Del Boy drive?

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
785218.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Q: What did Del Boy drive?
K: Reliant Robin, Robin Reliant
A: Reliant Regal Supervan, Ford Capri Ghia

The van that is driven by Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses is not a Reliant Robin, but a Reliant Regal Supervan. It is currently on display at the Cars of the Stars museum in Keswick, Cumbria. Three Reliants were used during the making of the series, one of which sold at auction for 44,227. Another was brought for 20,000 by boxer Ricky Hatton, who is a huge fan of the show.

Apart from the Reliant, Del Boy also drove a 1977 Ford Capri Ghia, which first appears in the episode "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Uncle".

Sources: Brain of Britain, broadcast 7th Feb 2011; BBC, The Times, and Only Fools and Horses: The Bible of Peckham, Volume 2, page 224.

Spud McLaren
785297.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Quite right. And what was Reliant's fastest model?

otyikondo
785348.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Quite right. And what was Reliant's fastest model?

Not much to choose between the GTE and GTC Scimitars. Both nice cars in their time. Princess Anne had several. But the SST was faster, and rather an ugly little thing. Could get up to about 210km/h.

Ameena
785350.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Wasn't it that Reliant Robin they turned (briefly) into a rocket in one episode of Top Gear? :D

Jenny
785361.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Not that particular one, I think, but certainly it was a Reliant Robin.

otyikondo
785362.  Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote

If you mean the one that some eedjit put a V8 engine into, it could do 125mph (though I shudder to think of anyone driving it at that speed), but the Scimitar SST could pull 130 on a good day.

Besides which, however much fun it would be for the answer to be the Robin, it is hardly RELIANT's Robin, but Joe Petrolhead's.

Ameena
785441.  Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote

I was referring to the one that they literally tried to turn into a rocket. I think the original idea was "make a rocket out of a car", and when the mechanic-rocket-builder-people asked Hamster why they chose that type of car, his explanation was "Because it's...pointy." :D. It took off, but the secondary booster thingys (or something) failed to go off so it kindastarted going sideways quite a bit and then gravity sort of took over...
Vid here if you're interested...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20

Spud McLaren
785801.  Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote

otyikondo wrote:
... the SST was faster....
That's the one - the SST 1800Ti, to be pedantic.

For 2 years I had a GTE. It was an utterly wonderful car - when it was on the road. Sadly, previous owners had made a pig's ear of it and it spent 6 months (in total) off-road being made better in instalments.

crissdee
795551.  Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:07 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Quote:
Q: What did Del Boy drive?
K: Reliant Robin, Robin Reliant
A: Reliant Regal Supervan, Ford Capri Ghia

This should recieve not only a klaxon, but a severe beating with a half brick! I f*****g hate it when people say that!

Page 1 of 1