View previous topic | View next topic

Dogs can, cat's can't...

Page 1 of 1

should we feed our dogs vegetarian diets as an alternative to putting them down?
yes, let them eat plants
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
no, give them hunks of cow
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Amphibian
784304.  Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Just before Bill Bailey runs over his dogs with his new fleet of hypothetical dog/car tradeoff vehicles, I think its worth recognising that dogs can live happily and healthily on an entirely vegetarian diet.

"Dogs are biologically omnivorous, but can adapt well to a plant-based diet which meets all their nutritional needs" (commercial link to V-dog deleted - interested parties can google).

True, this is from the website of a vegan dog food maker, but according to many statemenes and our family dog, ralph, who was a cheerful vegetarian dog, it is certainly a choice the family could make (especially if the only other option was death).

It seems to be the case is not so for cats, sadly. The biologists say its down to the ability to produce taurine. Its something you can't get from vegetables, but we humans can produce it in our bodies, and so can dogs, but cats can't. Which is why you'll find vege dogs, but never a vege cat....

http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3405
interesting article here too... says dogs and cats make all the vitamin C they need in their liver... that's why they don't go for the oranges so much!

Jenny
784488.  Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Bit of a skewed poll there, Amphibian - if the alternative to putting a dog down was to feed it a vegetarian diet, I imagine most dog-lovers would go for that. However, if the alternative included leaving it on a diet that included meat (because not all meat is suitable for human consumption), I imagine many would prefer that option.

I deleted your commercial link because we don't allow commercial links on this site when the name can be googled - we're a bit sensitive to spam around here, though I don't think that was your intention.

Welcome to the forums :-)

RLDavies
785545.  Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote

Virtually all mammals produce their own vitamin C -- so, technically, for them it's not a vitamin.

I think it's only primates and guinea pigs that need to ingest vitamin C in their diet.

Page 1 of 1