View previous topic | View next topic

Audience figures

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Gray
102378.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

This page is quite revealing, and confirms what we all know: people like to (a) laugh, and (b) discover interesting and bizarre stuff.

http://www.qi.com/tv/audience.php

swot
102434.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am Reply with quote

Those graphs are great! It's nice that we're all congratulated for sitting aroung watching television. Brilliant television at that. I think Messrs Lloyd and Fry each deserve a hearty pat on the back.

Last edited by swot on Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
102540.  Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Woo, and indeed hoo!

JumpingJack
103167.  Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote

blushes modestly, shuffles from foot to foot

The real credit, of course, goes to the audience in whom I and everyone else at QI has immense faith.

These graphs demonstrate, with almost comical violence, just how justified that faith is.

It is a blow for the real preferences of real people rather than for the manipulated and self-perpetuating half-truths of the Focus Group culture and the sinuous mandarins of spin who profit from it. Roll on the counter-revolution.

To do the authorities justice, though, they have absolutely taken notice of the figures.

Hence the new 8.30 slot on Saturday, where QI's tiny David (armed with only a sling-shot and a supply of guava halves) takes on the Goliaths of 'Strictly Come Dancing' and 'Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Not Very Well Written Thing'.

samivel
103196.  Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
'Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Not Very Well Written Thing'.

Hmm, catchy. If it wasn't for the repeat of QI, I might watch that. (Yeah, right.)

JumpingJack
103225.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote

I saw the first ten minutes, samivel. It takes real talent to make Harry Hill and Al Murray completely unfunny.

(Apologies for the unaccustomed negativity)

swot
103320.  Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

You managed a whole ten minutes of Ant & Dec? I bow to your powers of endurance, sir. I last laughed at thir antics when I was 12.

Neotenic
103558.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote

Nothing makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as a nice clustered bar chart.

barbados
103595.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote

When does the primetime bbc1 show air then?

tetsabb
103676.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Nothing makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as a nice clustered bar chart.

Have you tried going out a bit more?
:-)

JumpingJack
103683.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote

It can only be decades away, barbados.

Though the ratings for last week were excellent: 2.9m and 15% share on BBC2 and 501,000 on BBC4. At least one of those is a new high for QI.

swot
103685.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

Hurrah.

What about the repeat? My mum watches ITV crime dramas on a Friday so I generally end up watching both.

JumpingJack
103733.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote

The repeat is rather weedy by comparison, No1, but then we are up against probably the stiffest competition on British television.

Last Saturday it was 0.9% rising to 1m.

Katie (our lovely BBC commissioner) is very pleased with that, though. QI inherited a measly 0.7 from The Culture Show that preceded us, and added viewers during the course of the programme.

grizzly
103749.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Well the repeat isn't advertised at all. I expect most of the people watching it (above those from the culture show) are those that happened to wander over it whilst flicking channels.

How do they get the estimates for the viewing figures? Is there something in my TV set telling them that I am watching it or something?

JumpingJack
103759.  Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote

QI isn't advertised at all to speak of, grizzly, as far as I can see though Katie tells me it was before the series began.

She also thinks the Saturday audience will grow as the series goes on. As we offer a real alternative to most of the competition, she may well be right.

As far as I understand it, the BBC gets their figures from a random sample of street interviews and ITV get theirs from a set top box installed in willing viewers homes. But that was then, and things may be different now.Perhaps they have agreed a joint policy since I worked full-time in telly in the 80s.

It's also possible that any digital channel's viewership may be monitored with extreme accuracy, in the way that Google seems to know your every move and everything about you.

When I was a BBC staffer, audiences of a size now commonplace on BBC4 and BBC3 (let alone some of the lesser digital channels) would have been graded 'Audience Too Small To Measure'.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next