View previous topic | View next topic

very annoyed!!! C6H1206 + 602 -> 6H2O + 6CO2

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

tetsabb
63564.  Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
They attempted that when I was in year 6. It went no further that 'sperm meets egg, baby grows in lady's tummy.' I'm lucky that my mum explained it properly when I got home.

Gooseberry bushes, storks and all, I hope.

swot
63629.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote

Gooseberry bushes? Not that I remember. The stork was spoken of fondly though.

96aelw
63641.  Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote

Am I to take it from the phrasing of tetsabb's hope that there are people going round proposing a theory of reproduction that doesn't involve storks? Does such a theory even exist? Has the world gone utterly mad?

Last edited by 96aelw on Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total

swot
63811.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:11 am Reply with quote

I think that's what he meant, but don't let that corrupt your (I'm assuming) young mind.

dotcom
63944.  Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote

The stork DOES bring babies. That's what I was taught. I had to do a biology test about the anatomy of a stork and why it is best suited for baby-carrying.
On an interesting note, the stork is also the symbol of Alsace, which I was visiting last week. Anyone got any ideas why?

samivel
63971.  Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote

dotcom wrote:
On an interesting note, the stork is also the symbol of Alsace, which I was visiting last week. Anyone got any ideas why?

Why the stork is the symbol of Alsace, or why you were visiting it?
Maybe you were on a holiday.

;)

96aelw
63984.  Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote

The stork is the symbol of Alsace (and, so Wikipedia leads me to believe, the Hague and Denmark as well) because, I think, they have a fair few of them there. Or did until the 70s, anyway. They come to Europe from January until August, I'm told, although they've tended not to come so far west in recent decades.

On the other question, since "holiday" has already been taken, I'm going to guess that dotcom was taken there by a band of ruthless kidnappers. Possibly disguised as storks.

dotcom
64022.  Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

I still have nightmares.

The Luggage
104198.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote

When I was in high school in the US, we watched a video in what they called Health class (It was sex ed). The video was about the dangers of mixing alcohol and sex, and featured the classic line "Liquor gets your jimmy thicker quicker". I remember nothing from the rest of the film, but that line has stuck with me for 7 years.

Not a Number
104199.  Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote

The Luggage wrote:
When I was in high school in the US, we watched a video in what they called Health class (It was sex ed). The video was about the dangers of mixing alcohol and sex, and featured the classic line "Liquor gets your jimmy thicker quicker". I remember nothing from the rest of the film, but that line has stuck with me for 7 years.

What sex ed video were you watching? All we got was one on STDs. That, and a talk about how we should respect our bodies. It was a rather conservative school.

btw:
Quote:
"Liquor gets your jimmy thicker quicker".
made me giggle. Now it is branded on my brain. Thanks a lot.

swot
104359.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote

They were obsessed with STIs at my school. It was like, 'yeah, if you must have sex, go ahead, but you'll DIE!' Then, because it was a Christian school, there was the merest suggestion that sex outside of marriage might upset the Lord.

georgina1475
104374.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote

Going back to teachers for one more moment.
My favourite convinced us that the 3 jars on the desk were full with dodgy urine from a diabetic, a pregnant woman and some unfortunate soul with renal failure. He then proceeded to taste test each beaker. Wonderfully visual technique, stuck with me for many years. As an A level student I assisted him with repeating this demo to 1st years.

He also in trusted the same 1st years into my care while he attended to head of year business, until the head teacher brought in a new student and asked me to introduce him to the class, I couldn’t as the poor boy was john Thomas, and I was too busy crying under the desk.

suze
104486.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote

While I'm not entirely sure I want to know, what was actually in the vessels which allegedly contained urine?

barbados
104522.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote

I would suggest in this case that Goergina contact the reliable Urban Myth websites, they have had that story down as an Urban Legend for some time

Not a Number
104523.  Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
While I'm not entirely sure I want to know, what was actually in the vessels which allegedly contained urine?

If he's tasting them. . . apple juice? In Bio Lab, we got fake urine (combinations of chemicals and things) to test for disease.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next