View previous topic | View next topic

United States Presidents

Page 1 of 1

Idlewild
783471.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote

On Season 8 Episode 17

Stephen asked how many US presidents there have been on this episode.
He cited that the numbers we use for counting actually needed to be reduced by one because one president was elected twice non-sequentially and was counted twice.

Just thought I would share some more information because in reality Stephen went the wrong way! There have been more than 44 presidents. Before George Washington we had 7 presidents of Congress and 8 presidents of the United States under the Articles of Confederation. We also had a president who's term was a single day. So if we want to be truly accurate the correct number would be 59 presidents.

Here is a great website that has a bio on each of these unknown presidents.

http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312172/early.html

CB27
783515.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote

This was covered in epidode 8 of season 3 (C series).

The question was ""ho was the first president of America?"

To which Alan promptly forfeited with "Washington".

Peyton Randolph was the first, with the second being John Hancock (cue Phil with his mime of Hancock's signature), and 12 more before Washington became president of an independent United States.

Arcane
783519.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote

Also, remember that Stephen reads a script of information which is provided to him so he is not personally responsible for the information.*

*That is my understanding, I am sure if not correct an elf will be by shortly to bop me on the head.

Sadurian Mike
783641.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
"ho was the first president of America?"

That may be my second-favourite typo ever.

(My first favourite being about the importance of Jewish Rabbits).

CB27
783646.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Ha, didn't notice that.

Mention of rabbits reminds me the bit on Qi about the sound of frogs in Hollywood going Ribbit, I was dying for someone to say "In Israeli films they use 'Rabbi'"

:)

Page 1 of 1