View previous topic | View next topic

Derbyshire

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

JumpingJack
31700.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote

A county about which I know virtually nothing, though I am keen to learn.

JumpingJack
31703.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Also the natural home for interesting snippoids about Derby, Chesterfield, Ilkeston, Swadlincote, Buxton, Matlock and Ashbourne.

Natalie
31707.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote

Chesterfield has a church with a twisted spire.

JumpingJack
31713.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote

It's called St. Mary and All Saints and it's the largest church in Derbyshire.

www.geocities.com/Athens/1992/cfield.html

Ciggywink
31817.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Was the home of one S. Temple for a long while. She might be a helpful font, Jack.

Ciggywink
31819.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Where they have Tanzanite in Tanzania, the indigenous blue stone of Derbyshire, near Matlock, is called 'Blue John'.

Flash
31869.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote

From bleu-jaune, I think.

Natalie
31874.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Blue yellow? :s

djgordy
31877.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:16 pm Reply with quote

JumpingJack wrote:
A county about which I know virtually nothing, though I am keen to learn.

Luckily for you I happen to live in Derbyshire.

On the other hand, it is a county notoriously short of interstingness. But I will try and summon up somethings over the next week or so.

I can tell you that Church Flatts Farm at Coton in the Elms is the furthest point from the sea in England. The nearest section of coast is the mean low water mark at Fosdyke Wash near Boston in South Lincolnshire 113 kilometers away. However, because the River Trent is tidal, at high tide the sea reaches Cromwell Lock near Newark Upon Trent, in which case Church Flatts Farm is only 72 kilometers from the sea.

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is set largely in Derbyshire, which is the supposed location for Mr. Darcy's home Pemberley.

Famous Derbyshire people include:

Thomas Cooke who invented the package holiday:
John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal
Ellen MacArthur, the yachtswoman who loves the palce so much she spends her life sailing as far away as possible
Alison Uttley; author of children's book
The Sitwell family, Edith, Osbert and Sachaveral, authors

Little John (of Robin Hood fame) is supposedly buried in the parish churchyard of St. Michael in Hathersage
Swarkestone Bridge marks the southernmost point reached by the invading army of Bonnie Prince Charlie
The village of Eyam famously cut itself off from the world when the plague reached there in 1665
The small town of Repton used to be the capital of Mercia

Last edited by djgordy on Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flash
31879.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Blue yellow? :s
Yes. A blue stone with yellow streaks in it.

djgordy
31886.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Derbyshire was supposedly (i.e. unverified as yet!) the venue for the first ever football game as part of a victory celebration following a battle with the Romans 3rd century ad.

The town of Ashbourne has a Shrovetide football game every Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. The origins of the event are unknow but are believed to have begun after the head of an executed person was tossed to the crowd. In 1349 Edward II tried to ban it because it interfered with archery practice.

Last edited by djgordy on Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

JumpingJack
31890.  Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote

Excellent, djgordy. Thank you.

That's what we want local expertise. I see a nice plump thread coming along.

Jenny
32007.  Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote

Blue John Stone is a semiprecious mineral found at only one location in the world - a hillside near Mam Tor, just outside Castleton, in the Derbyshire Peak District National Park.

The name Blue John derives from the French Bleu Jaune meaning Blue Yellow. It is a form of fluorite and was discovered as miners were exploring the cave systems of Castleton for lead.

Although only 500 kg a year are still mined, there is a healthy living to be made from tourism in the old mines. Some of these are flooded, and there are boat trips down them (or at any rate there were in 1971 when I went on one!)

Natalie
32014.  Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quote

What's the difference between Derby and Derbyshire? I'm not sure which I live in. I might live in three places in two houses if it's Derbyshire.

Jenny
32017.  Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote

Derby is the town (city?) Nat, and Derbyshire is the county it's in. Many counties are named after the most important town in them.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next