View previous topic | View next topic

Nagasaki apology - Causing & Taking Offence

Page 1 of 1

HarryAlffa
779619.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I do not see how any reasonable person could take offence at the QI treatment of this subject.

Unreasonable people could wilfully take offence in order to push some political point, but those people should be given short shrift - no matter what their nationality.

Did the BBC actually apologise? Or was it someone from the show? And was it an actual apology for causing offence - I hope not.

dr bartolo
779918.  Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote

I dont know, suffice that this news has reached the ears of the singapore newspaper the straits times

anyway, the joke was to me completely unoffensive! for what reason are they complaining about?

CB27
779939.  Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote

I think the matter should not have made the impact it did, there must be plenty of material out there that has been offensive to Japan in the past, so the fact it made the news is probably the agenda of an individual somewhere down the line, either in the Japanese embassy, or a Japanese journalist.

Having sampled a little of Japanese culture, I find it hard to be surprised by what they do fnid offensive, and what they find acceptable, you have to accept that some people and cultures wil have different tastes of what is offensive and what isn't, so id Japanese people were genuinely offended by the material then it's their prerogative.

There's nothing wrong with the BBC apologizing (this was in conjunction with Talkback), it's a simple acknowledgement that no offence was meant.

dr bartolo
779956.  Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote

that settles it, then

Page 1 of 1