View previous topic | View next topic

The search function

Page 1 of 1

Prolekult
779331.  Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something, but...

The "and" search function doesn't seem to work properly.

I just searched for "speed reading" and what you seem to get is all posts from all topics that contain both words, instead of just posts containing both words, resulting in 160-odd pages of hits.

I tried "speed and reading", "+speed +reading" and "speed reading" in quotes with the same results.

I would particularly like to see the normal "exact phrase in quotes" method implemented, as I find it very useful. Is there any chance of this happening please? It is standard in most engines. Cheers

Posital
779358.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote

Hopefully this place will get a facelift soon...

But then, it's always "jam tomorrow"...

suze
779549.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote

I think the issue here may be the excluded words. For reasons of space, it was found necessary to tell the search function to entirely ignore a given group of words.

One of those words happens to be "reading" - if you search on that word alone, you'll get no hits. Consequently, a search under "speed and reading" in fact produces every instance of "speed".

This is actually one of the reasons why I deliberately use some less commonly used words in my posts - to make it easier to find them again. If I know that I once used "Pangbourne" when I really meant "Reading", that makes the search much more effective!

Prolekult
779720.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote

ah right, thanks for the info, I guess I got unlucky with my choice of words.

Page 1 of 1