View previous topic | View next topic

Io

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
778867.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote

Io is the most geologically active object in the Solar System. It is one of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, along with Ganymede (the largest moon in the solar system), Callisto (a heavily createred moon) and Europa (an icy moon which some believe might have life on it).

Io is so violent because it is so close to Jupiter. The strong gravitational pullof Jupiter causes the surface of Io be pulled up, similar to the way that the Moon pulls the Earth's oceans and causes tides.

On Io, the gravitational pull is so violent it causes volanic eruptions. However, Io's volcanoes fire out sulphur and sulfur dioxide. Io was the first place outside the Earth to have active volanic activity.

Posital
778870.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Io was the first place outside the Earth to have [...] volcanic activity.
Observed.

Who was also seduced by Zeus.

orablu
778876.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote

after which zeus turned her into a cow; of course she was in the mood to breathe fire!
if you're gonna turn your mistress into an animal, for the love of god, a cow is the last thing you want to turn her into!

frankly, with all the tact zeus showed, i've always been surprised he was able to get so many women. he was a blundering oaf. the only thing he had going for himself was cosmic powers.

Sadurian Mike
778948.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Blind Io is, of course, the chief of the discworld gods.

He's a thunder god in the old Norse and Greek tradition, and has raven messengers in a similar way to Odin.

Spud McLaren
778979.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote

orablu wrote:
if you're gonna turn your mistress into an animal, for the love of god, a cow is the last thing you want to turn her into!
Although in some cases, it requires the minimum of effort...

Sadurian Mike
778980.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote

My ex- turned into one with no effort on my part at all.

sjb
778983.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote

That's funny; several of my exes turned into pigs with no help from me.

Sadurian Mike
778984.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote

You are Circe and I claim my 5.

Burgess Shale
778985.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:

He's a thunder god in the old Norse and Greek tradition, and has raven messengers in a similar way to Odin.

As to why he is called Blind Io, he has no eyes in his head but is orbited by dozens of eyeballs, and IIRC it is theorised in the early canon that he might have entered the Discworld universe by accident.

sjb
778986.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
You are Circe and I claim my 5.

Damn. You found me out.

Efros
778999.  Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote

Burgess Shale wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:

As to why he is called Blind Io, he has no eyes in his head but is orbited by dozens of eyeballs, and IIRC it is theorised in the early canon that he might have entered the Discworld universe by accident.

He had to get rid of his ravens as they kept eating his eyeballs.

Burgess Shale
779299.  Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

I could see that coming...:)

Pity Blind Io couldn't...:(

tchrist
779336.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
Io was the first place outside the Earth to have [...] volcanic activity.
Observed.

Who was also seduced by Zeus.

Ganymede, Callisto, Europa, and Io were all four of them seduced by Zeus. That's why the Galliean moons of Jupiter were named that way. I don't know whether schoolkids are allowed to be taught that Ganymede was male but the other three were female lovers of Zeus; maybe they're just told they all hung out together.

--tom

bobwilson
779337.  Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote

Surely, only Ganymede hung out?

Page 1 of 1