View previous topic | View next topic

noah's ark

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

fineartmike
25499.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Just looked up on Noah about how many sheep were in the Ark -

Ge 6:19 = 2
Ge 7:1 =7 of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and 2 of every kind of unclean animal..etc

so...

drlito
25505.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Genesis 7:2 actually says "take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate" (NIV).
The King James version puts it : "Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female".
This would mean there were actually 14 sheep on the ark.

Gray
25516.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Well, that's certainly one interpretation. Although you could argue that instead of putting 'the male and the female', they chose to surrender to the usual 'male owns the female' thinking of the day and say 'his female' instead.

I don't have the original on hand (and am not much of a Hebrew scholar...)

Mort
25525.  Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote

This is another of those easily-rememberable tidbits that I can easily spout in uninteresting times! And, much like with the Guiness Book of Records, if someone doesn't believe me we can just whip out a Bible and there it is!
This is the sort of stuff that makes me love QI. I wonder of this qualifies as memetics..

fineartmike
25553.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:49 am Reply with quote

Fascinating. I wonder what the Hebrew Bible translates to - But 14 sheep, 14 Cows etc would leave poor old Noah in a river of shaving cream.

Icarus
25556.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:18 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Fascinating. I wonder what the Hebrew Bible translates to - But 14 sheep, 14 Cows etc would leave poor old Noah in a river of shaving cream.

That depends on the length of a cubit, obviously.
:)

JumpingJack
25570.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quote

The point raised by fineartmike and drlito was also spotted by Datamonkey in the Ark thread in the Knock, Knock forum.

See my response post 25566 (and sequence).

In short, I think the 'correct' answer is most probably 14 sheep, but either way it's definitely not 'two'.

Frances
25574.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote

Would 'A male and its mate' of sheep not be in a ratio of one male to six females, making up the desired seven? No sensible shepherd would want an equal number of rams and ewes - they'd be fighting so much they'd have no energy left for tupping. But one experienced ram and six [preferably pregnant] ewes - there's the start of a good flock. Or should one not think of the Bible and common sense in the same breath, so to speak?

JumpingJack
25580.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote

Very good point Frances. Like it a lot.

Still, the text is deeply ambiguous.

Genesis is a dreadfully flawed book, not so much because the Bible is not common sense (I'm fairly certain most of it started out that way) but because it has been badly edited.

I've been editing scripts for 30 years and the first time I read it properly through it was perfectly obvious to me. The editor did a truly lousy job.

His name was "Saint" Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, who hacked out all the bits that didn't conform to the orthodoxy of the day to remove any support for so-called "heresies" and to make it more suitable for a state religion rather than a rebel one.

As I may have posted elsewhere, this was something that outraged Sir Isaac Newton – a keen biblical scholar and heretic – when he discovered that the Word of God had been so disgracefully tampered with.

Jenny
25618.  Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote

A Muslim friend of mine once pointed out to me that whereas the sequence of events in Genesis regarding creation was impossible, that in the Qu'ran followed a far likelier sequence, so perhaps God was making up for Athanasius' bad editing in His second edition?

laidbacklazyman
25623.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:21 am Reply with quote

I've noticed the film went "straight to video" and they are advertising it at the knockdown price of free after a chat with the mormans.

I wonder how many audience members have actually signed the hotel copy of the bible

Rory Gilmore
25704.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Ah, where would we be without the bible? (A rhetorical question in it's entirety).
Perhaps the sheep of the time were not ceremonially but physically unclean at the time.
In my opinion, the better question is how did freshwater fish survive when all land was covered in seawater (or what would mix with seawater).

Natalie
25706.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Actually, that's a good point...were fish on the ark? Did a great big Blue whale have it's own lagoon? And how come all the animals didn't eat each other? Were rats on board? And sloths?

So many questions, so few pages.

JumpingJack
25708.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:34 pm Reply with quote

In the 16th century, Johannes Buteo calculated that Noah’s Ark would have had a usable space of 350,000 cubits, of which 140,000 must have been taken up by hay...

JumpingJack
25709.  Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Mediaeval rabbis, apparently, spent a good deal of time debating whether fish were left to fend for themselves in the Flood, or whether Noah dutifully brought them on board the ark in an aquarium.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next