View previous topic | View next topic

Dreamcoat

Page 1 of 1

Do you prefer traditional hymns or modern hymns?
Traditional
75%
 75%  [ 9 ]
Modern
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Celebaelin
33733.  Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:09 am Reply with quote

What kind of garment was it that Israel gave to Joseph?

No-one really knows, just about every answer likely to be given will do with the possible exception of deep pockets which curiously, because of its mundanity I suppose, was always the one that stuck in my mind but search as I might I can't find any Bible version which uses it. Amongst the translations of Genesis Ch37 v.3 are

Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him. New International Version 1983

The meaning of the Hebrew for richly ornamented is uncertain; also in verses 23 and 32.

varicoloured tunic New American Standard Bible 1995

tunic of [many] colors New King James Version 1982

Now Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his children, because he was the son of his old age; and he had made him a long robe with sleeves. New Revised Standard Version 1989

Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age; and he made him a coat of many colors. 21st Century King James Version 1997

Now Israel loved Joseph more than any other of his sons, because he was the son of his old age. And he made him a robe of many colors. English Standard Version 2001

See Septuagint, Vulgate; or (with Syriac) a robe with long sleeves. The meaning of the Hebrew is uncertain; also verses 23, 32

Amie
34223.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote

I thought Joseph got a technicolour dreamcoat..

Anna
34273.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I think Andrew Lloyd Webber gave him that one, not Israel. =D

Amie
34275.  Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Ahh damnit..

Zaphod Beeblebrox
34385.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote

It was red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and olive and violet and fawn and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve and cream and crimson and silver and rose and asher and lemon and russet and grey and purple and white and pink and orange and blue.

Now, that is quite impressive, if a little sad, that I remember all that from 7 years ago when I was the colour "yellow" in a production of the play.

Amie
34557.  Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Wow that's impressive, if I was you then, I would have only remembered yellow and that I had to say it after the person next to me said red.
Yes I am quite lazy.

gerontius grumpus
36089.  Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote

I object to those lines about baby Jesus being wrapped in strips of cloth.
In my day they used to say he was wrapped in swaddling clothes,
Thus giving the children a learning opportunity of finding out what that meant. The strips of cloth stuff is completely pointless.
Why not just say he was dressed in baby clothes?
That would be more accurate and to the point.

samivel
36110.  Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote

It wouldn't be more accurate - branches of Mothercare were hard to find in Bethlehem at that time ;)

Keiichi
37999.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 pm Reply with quote

I scrolled too fast through the forum list there - I thought that this one said DreamCAST... there I am, thinking "woohoo! I'm not the only gamer in here!"...

I'm not, am I?

K1

Celebaelin
38010.  Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:29 pm Reply with quote

No, you're not. There's me for one.

gruoch
38401.  Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:05 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I object to those lines about baby Jesus being wrapped in strips of cloth.
In my day they used to say he was wrapped in swaddling clothes,
Thus giving the children a learning opportunity of finding out what that meant. The strips of cloth stuff is completely pointless.
Why not just say he was dressed in baby clothes?
That would be more accurate and to the point.

I swaddled all my babies using a sheet or shawl.

There is no evidence that Jesus bar Joseph was born in Bethlehem. Good old Matthew - making the facts fit Isiah again.

Page 1 of 1