View previous topic | View next topic

How To Hypnotise a Chicken

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Humbug
773453.  Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote

I was interested when this topic came up in the episode on Friday 7th Jan 2010, and I have an alternative method to hypnotising a chicken.

Whilst in Malawi I saw how local people handled their chickens.

They would hold their chicken upside down by their feet (usually in one hand). They could carry their chicken anywhere, the chicken would just hang there, seemingly lulled to sleep. First their eyes would stay open, then their eyelids would droop closed. Seemingly in a trance, or falling asleep.

When brought upright, the chicken would start and wake up.

Is this Quite Interesting enough?!!

aTao
773457.  Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote

Works with turkeys too, although sometimes you need to stroke the head down so the neck is straight. Never seen one actually go to sleep though chicken or turkey, but on their back or hanging upside down is certainly the way to make them docile.

Quite interesting?, tricky that, being a farm worker its more like common practice, a trick of the trade so to speak.

Jenny
773458.  Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote

I think it's interesting, and I'd like to know why it happens. Welcome to the forums, Humbug :-)

CB27
773485.  Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Was anyone else humming "Lust for Life" when they started talking about hypnotising chickens?

bobwilson
773486.  Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote

I don't know whether it has anything to do with hypnotising chickens. I worked in the chicken sheds on a Kibbutz where the technique was to carry the chickens by one leg (usually four chickens in each hand).

Not particulary pleasant work - knee deep in ammonia, in a dark environment, tripping over electrical cables and feed troughs, with the sound of "help! help! help!" being constantly squawked; the spurs of four chickens digging into the space between thumb and forefinger; sprayed with chicken shit (upwards) onto arms already ravaged by the thorns of the grapefruit trees.

Still, I guess the chickens didn't enjoy it too much either.

And yep CB - I was thinking of Iggy Pop too.

tetsabb
774024.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote

Stupid question....
Why would you want to hypnotise a chicken?

CB27
774029.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:00 pm Reply with quote

It's all about buying the gimmick :)

Seriously thought, it has two potential benefits that come to mind. The first would be to kill it with little effort (some people prefer the chopping method to the cracking of the neck), the other is that it helps in checking chickens for diseases and administering medicines.

Bob, I got lucky with some of my roles when I did my time in a kibbutz, it was mostly dairy and various harvests. My sister got unlucky and went temporarily blind when she got what she thought was an easy job, washing up, problem was that they used industrial equipment with steam jet washes, and someone left pure chilli in a pan that steamed straight in her face. Never understood why whe didn't see the funny side.... :)

bobwilson
774035.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I got lucky with some of my roles when I did my time in a kibbutz, it was mostly dairy and various harvests.

Aaah dairy - reputedly the cushy job (never did it myself) - excluding acting as waiter/concierge at the more touristy Kibbutz.

The chicken bits were always overtime (ie getting extra hours for more time off) in the ones I was at.

ceefax
774218.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote

thats the technique they use in chicken factories in the uk.

Hang em up by their feet and the over head conveyor slowly trundles them to their doom. The silence is deafening, you can hear them outside all clucking and going crazy and then up they go and silence.

Then you stick an electrifide serated blade through there necks.

mckeonj
774248.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Another method is to put the bird's head under it's wing, and hold both wing closed, either with two hands or with arm against body.
This is the basis of a very old conjuror's trick, in which a live rooster is apparently decapitated, the severed head being passed around the audience, then replaced on the body; and the bird restored to life. The severed head was of course obtained earlier, from another bird.
As a fully qualified grandad, I alarm youngsters by severing and restoring my own thumb.

Ameena
774314.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote

I saw a thing once about hypnotising various different species, and it said that to hypnotise a chicken, you can do so by focusing their attention - it showed several chickens sitting on a dirt floor - someone made sure their heads were facing toward the ground, then drew a line with their finger in the dirt which started right in front of each bird's beak and led away. So basically all the chickens were sitting there on teh grond with their heads down in front of them, with a line drawn in the dirt leading directly away from them. And they all stayed there for a while, then all "snapped out of it" at the same time - they kind of all hopped to their feet at once and just got on with normal chicken things, walking around and pecking and all that.

CB27
774353.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/sqZZ95L2n7o

Love the way he was able to flip the chicken over...

aTao
774380.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Okey dokye.... lets not be getting all confused here, unlike he chickens in the videos..

Pushing a chicken to the ground like that is a whole different kettle of fish. If you chase chickens (unfortunately they sometimes need it) usually they will suddenly drop to the ground with the wing mid joint (elbow) stuck out, this is "ok big boy, you can have a go" at which point they expect you to bite their neck and jump on them for a shag. Also laying on their side is typical sunbathing posture, they relax so much they look like they have been flattened by something rather heavy. So, make a chicken submissive and persuade it to be relaxed, yeah its going to go sleepy docile for a while.
In human terms that's like shining a sun lamp on someone and saying "I don't suppose there's any chance..." I guess birds are easy, feathered ones that is.

Ion Zone
774387.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote

I really don't think this is hypnosis. It sounds a lot like what happens when you turn a lizard over. I can't remember the exact mechanisim but I think it is paralising. Incapasitating, at the very least. This is not something that would be very plesent for the bird. They probably come close to blacking out.

Subwaytion
813023.  Wed May 04, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote

Right. This is not hypnosis, as we usually use the term (which involves a susceptibility to suggestion). You can achieve the same relaxing, paralysing or incapacitating effect in a human by placing her in a hammock.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next