View previous topic | View next topic

Disaronno - The worlds favourite Italian liqueur

Page 1 of 1

laidbacklazyman
33618.  Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote

The distinctive flavour from this wonderful drink in fact comes from the kernel of the apricot. Not the Almond as most people would beleive.

The recipe dates back to 1525 and one of it's famous fans was Bernardino Luini, a student of Leonardo Di Vinci. Legend has it that back in 1525 he was commisioned to paint a fresco of "The adoration of the Magi" in the Basillica, Saronno. The area had been recently laid waste by war and was in the process of being rebuilt when a young Luini, staying at a local inn lad his eyes on the innkeeper, a beautiful fair haired widow. She was to be his choice for the Madonna on the fresco.

Determined to repay the painter, but destitute following the death of her husband, the innkeeper soaked a handful of apricot kernels in brandy and gave them to her admirer. Luini was greatly moved by the gesture and from that day the elixir has become a symbol of affection.

So next time you savour the wonderful flavour of your Amaretto, remember it's actually apricot you can taste, not almond.

Celebaelin
33670.  Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:31 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Claret is the liquor for boys, port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.

Samuel Johnson

Quote:
Hell is full of musical amateurs; music is the brandy of the damned.

George Bernard Shaw

These two were driving me insane, I just had to find out who the originators were, and so to Amoretto, which I believe is what I was handed one time at a young and impressionable age but I was told it was Benedictine, it tasted of almonds anyway. Perhaps it was B&B, which outsells Benedictine according to the article from which this is quoted.

Quote:
In 1510, Dom Bernardo Vincelli, a Venetian monk stationed at the Benedictine abbey in Fecamp, France, made a tonic by infusing brandy with herbs and plants he grew in his garden as well as more exotic spices. Being a good monk, he dedicated his elixir with the initials D.O.M. for Deo Optimo Maximo, Latin for "To God, Most Good, Most Great," a consecration that still appears on the label.

The balm was produced until the French Revolution in 1789 when the formula was lost. But in 1863, Alexandre Le Grand, a wine merchant and collector of ancient manuscripts, unearthed it. He revised the recipe, eventually settling on 27 herbs and spices such as coriander, thyme, juniper and saffron. Tea, orange peel, and honey are also added. The exact formula is a secret, of course, and copies of it are kept in three far-flung regions of the globe, just in case there is a nuclear holocaust and someone asks, "Where’s the Benedictine recipe?" Several distillation steps and about two years of oak aging give the final product its smoothness.

http://www.samcooks.com/savor/benedictine.htm

Page 1 of 1