View previous topic | View next topic

Lee Mack

Page 1 of 1

NickH
772477.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote

Hi All,
Sorry to moan on my first post, but who actually thought Lee Mack was a total boring **** on the Christmas show?

I remember his last appearance on QI and thought he was stupid - but not in a funny way - loud and rude. This time was even worse and you could see that even “Mr Nicest Guy” Fry was getting more than a little annoyed.

Mack is not QI material and please could the producers / booking team drop him from the talent roster.

Any quite interesting comments to the contrary are, of course, welcome.

clack
772492.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Finding comics who can "give good panel" isn't easy. We've seen some good comics crash and burn on QI, Have I Got News for You, and other panel shows.

Now, I've seen Mack give good panel on other shows, but agree his 2 QI appearances have been poor. He didn't engage with the topics.

He might be worth giving one more try.

NancyB
772603.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote

Oh! He made me laugh. Maybe I'm not QI material either!

Spud McLaren
772801.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote

I actually find him quite amusing, but not QI material. He's quick rather than witty, and doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable in any particular field.

BTW, welcome, NickH!

NancyB
772911.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 pm Reply with quote

Hi Spud. Yes, you're right and he didn't really 'engage' with the quiz. I've watched a few episodes of 'Not Going Out' recently and he does seem to be a bit of a 'smart-alec remark' type of person, but still quite funny.

Just Say No To Vorderman
773861.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote

I don't want funny panelists...I want interesting ones. Mack, Jupitus and Vegas never contribute anything interesting(I'll concede that they can all be amusing sometimes).
Been watching the earlier series again and there do seem to be a lot less interesting panelists now and more "funny" ones :-(

Spud McLaren
773870.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote

I'd agree there - I'd like interesting panelists who can be funny, rather than ones who are just "funny"*.

*Subjective term, that...

clack
773918.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote

There's a distinction between just telling jokes, and teasing out the comedy potential in a given topic. David Mitchell is good at the latter, but how many DM's are there?

I'd like to see Dara O'Briain making more appearances per series than, say, Sean Lock -- Dara can be amusing, plus he has an existing base of general knowledge along with intellectual curiosity.

ceefax
774584.  Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:44 am Reply with quote

If you thought Lee Mack was a bad panelist, which i agree with, then the same can be said for John Lloyd (yes i know there was a reason why he was there. But really?)

In the QI panelist spectrum of comedy there are still two ends. Mack at one end Lloyd on the other. With David Mitchell happily sat in the visible range.

Neotenic
774590.  Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote

I thought John was an excellent panellist.

[/forelock]

Tuppy
775921.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote

Sean Lock should not return. He's neither funny nor remotely interesting. He is rude to other panellists.
Lee Mack is not so rude but equally dull and unfunny.

It would be interesting to see Paul Merton on, but I suspect him and Alan Davies may have personal problems, so that's probably out.
More of Gryff, Rory, Hugh Laurie, Hugh Dennis.
Maybe Ben Elton, Tony Robinson. In short, the old Blackadder gang would be a good one off show.
Oh, and me, I'll do a show for only a small fee. ;-]

sjb
775946.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote

Wait, you think Sean Lock is ruder than Lee Mack?

ceefax
776846.  Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote

Lloyd was poor, unfunny and downright dull. I can't remember exactly but the argument about a sound of a tree falling was embarassing to watch.

sean lock is rude sometimes, namely to rory mf*ckingrath, which in my book is fine. The lesser spotted bearded tit is slowly starting to sound like a gold detector and should not be allowed to speak in public.

CEL-Kali
777143.  Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote

I like anyone who appears on QI, but I guess that's just me....

Efros
777147.  Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Sean Lock is funny, Lee Mack is funny, the latter, however, is a poor QI panelist. I also think Rory Mcgrath is a good panelist and that Vegas is definitely not. Doesn't really matter as I'm not on the talent board.

Page 1 of 1