View previous topic | View next topic

I.T.V.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jumper
772135.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:21 am Reply with quote

ITV is the public service network of British commercial television broadcasters, set up under the Independent Television Authority (ITA) to provide competition to the BBC. The first ITV contractor, the London Weekday contractor Associated-Rediffusion, began broadcasting on the 22nd September 1955 in London at 7.15pm.

In the first ever ratings war, the BBC, who had held the monopoly on broadcasting in Britain, aired on the Home Service a melodramatic episode of their popular radio soap opera The Archers. In the episode, core character Grace Archer was fatally injured in a fire, and it was seen as a ploy to keep loyal viewers and listeners away from the new station.
The first full day of transmissions was 23 September 1955 when Britain's first female newsreader Barbara Mandell appeared.

By 1962, seven years later the network was completed with Teledu Cymru, broadcasting to West and North Wales.

ITV was re-branded as itv1 in October 2002, but it's legal name under the Broadcasting Act 1990 is still officially "Channel 3". This was to distinguish it from BBC1, BBC2, and Channel 4.

The Broadcasting Act also imposed a 25% quota for commissioning of independent productions. This lead to the number of programmes from independent production companies not connected to the traditional ITV Network, increasing rapidly. Notable examples include Talkback Thames (one half of which, Thames Television, was itself a former ITV franchisee), producers of The Bill and co-producers of The X Factor, and of course QI.

Jumper
772136.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:32 am Reply with quote

I was brought up watching Southern Television. During the summer months we used to rent out our family home to holidaymakers, and live on our yacht in Folkestone Harbour. Our little B&W tv set that worked off a 12v battery got perfect reception whenever we took it camping, or when we sailed across to France or along the English South Coast, however at our mooring in the harbour we could only receive Southern TV (no BBC at all) - and then only at high tide. Watching Day-by-Day to see what Trevor the Weather had to say about the weekend's forecast would be a deciding factor on our weekend destination - usually Calais or Boulogne-sur-Mer, or occasionally Dunkerque or Dieppe.

dr bartolo
772146.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote

here is a little song bt terry deary, author of the horrible history series

whilst the shepards watched the flocks by night,
all watching ITV
the angel of the lord came down
and switched to BBC

tp
772222.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote

Our old TV, many moons ago prior even, I think, to Channel 5, had a little box that came up and told you what channel you were on every time you changed. It listed ITV as ITV one and Channel 4 as ITV2. Don't know why. Suppose it was becuase they were both independant.

suze
772239.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote

Jumper wrote:
ITV is the public service network of British commercial television broadcasters, set up under the Independent Television Authority (ITA) to provide competition to the BBC.

While that is still true, it's only just so by now.

As a result of the merger of Carlton Communications plc and Granada plc in 2004, all the ITV licenses for England and Wales are held by the same company (which is now called ITV plc). In theory, someone could bid against ITV plc for any of these licenses when next they come up for renewal, but it seems improbable. (The last two renewals which have come up have been uncontested.)

STV Group plc (in which ITV plc is a 6% shareholder) holds the two Scottish licenses, and by now doesn't use the ITV name at all.

That leaves just UTV Media plc which owns the license for Northern Ireland (and also owns a rather rubbish radio station called talkSPORT, generally known as Talk Shite), and Channel Television, which is privately owned by Lord Iliffe of Yattendon and holds the license for the Channel Islands. Channel does use the ITV name under license; UTV doesn't, but buys its overnight programming from ITV and doesn't bother to rebrand it.

tp
772263.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote

talkSPORT the daio station for people who just can't get enough of two angry men shouting at one another.

Bondee
772302.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:51 pm Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:

all watching ITV
and switched to BBC

That predates the Horrible Histories series by many years. I was singing that at school waaaaaaay back in the late 70s. I got told off for singing it during one of the Christmas carol concerts. I'm pretty sure my mum was singing it when she was a child too.

nitwit02
772354.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote

The Daily Mirror's TV critic wrote a lengthy appraisal of the previous evening's launch off the new BBC 2 channel.

Unfortunately, due to technical problems the launch had not taken place, and said critic had gone drinking and faked his critique.

Lots of egg on face .....

Jumper
773233.  Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
The Daily Mirror's TV critic wrote a lengthy appraisal of the previous evening's launch off the new BBC 2 channel.

Unfortunately, due to technical problems the launch had not taken place, and said critic had gone drinking and faked his critique.

Lots of egg on face .....

I remember watching Pot Black on BBC2 just after they started broadcasting it in colour & the commentator (Ted Lowe?) came up with "He can win this frame if he can sink the pink ball, and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

nitwit02
773312.  Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote

By the way Jumper, I see you are interested in pirate radio. Were you on Radio Huraki (excuse spelling) in the 60s?

Jumper
773509.  Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
By the way Jumper, I see you are interested in pirate radio. Were you on Radio Huraki (excuse spelling) in the 60s?

No - in the 60's I was living in Folkestone in Kent and an avid Radio Caroline fan...

suze
773580.  Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote

Jumper and nitwit02, just in case you've not "met" before.

Yes, you are both people who departed Kent for the colonies! In one case from Folkestone to Christchurch, New Zealand, in the other from Orpington to Edmonton, Alberta. Counterbalanced by me, who started in the colonies and ended up in Rochester.

nitwit02
773721.  Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
No - in the 60's I was living in Folkestone in Kent and an avid Radio Caroline fan...

That's a shame, as I was on Essex and 390.

Jumper
773730.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Jumper and nitwit02, just in case you've not "met" before.

Yes, you are both people who departed Kent for the colonies! In one case from Folkestone to Christchurch, New Zealand, in the other from Orpington to Edmonton, Alberta. Counterbalanced by me, who started in the colonies and ended up in Rochester.

Kia Ora nitwit02.

For a 'real' kiwi welcome press twice nose against the computer screen here >>

We have now exchanged a hongi.

(In the hongi the ha, or breath of life, is exchanged and intermingled.)

Posital
773736.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote

dr bartolo wrote:

all watching ITV
and switched to BBC
I encountered it 20/30 years ago at school... I thought it was common... and "washed their socks"... there were loads of these... can't remember them for the life of me

all seated on the ground
and charged them half a pound...?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next