View previous topic | View next topic

Series H Episode 15: Hypnosis, Hallucinations & Hysteria

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jenny
773692.  Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote

Interesting article about that phenomenon here.

clack
773723.  Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, Jenny, I had read that article. Interesting stuff.

I've wondered why there hasn't been more interest on the "life flash" phenomenon among memory researchers. I mean, your brain has stored intact somewhere video-quality recordings of past images and events, that you've never been able to access? That's not the way current research thinks that memory works.

It would revolutionize the field if those life flashes could be reproduced under laboratory conditions.

dr.bob
773750.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote

clack wrote:
Ronnie is a pleasant enough guest, but she isn't funny in a panel situation.

I thought Ronnie was very funny, and really enjoy her appearances.

Stephen: Surely you must have seen mirages
Ronnie: Ah, but I grew up in Scotland!

Overall I think this episode was one of the better ones of the series. A good mixture of interestingness and humour. Shame Stephen didn't really get a decent chance to explain the whole setting Sun thing properly. I couldn't help feeling that a diagram would've helped there.

Celebaelin
773755.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:07 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Ha! You beat me to it, sam.

Suicide Solution is by Ozzy Osbourne, but it was involved in a similar case to the Judas Priest track when, in 1986, Osbourne was taken to court by the parents of a depressed teenager who shot himself in the head while allegedly listening to it.

Also Suicide Solution is about drinking yourself to death, something which Ozzy narrowly avoided doing, and it seems was written about the death of AC/DCs Bon Scott from alcohol abuse (Wine is fine but whisky's quicker, Suicide is slow with liquor, Take a bottle drown your sorrows, Then it floods away tomorrows).

Suicide Solution - Ozzy Osbourne

Quote:
The Institute for Bio-Acoustics Research, Inc. (IBAR) was hired to evaluate the song. They found subliminal lyrics that weren't included in the lyrics sheet. These subliminal lyrics were sung at one and one-half times the normal rate of speech and are not recognized by a first time listener. The IBAR institute claimed the subliminal lyrics, "are audible enough that their meaning and true intent becomes clear after being listened to over and over again." The subliminal lyrics in question were "Why try, why try? Get the gun and try it! Shoot, Shoot, Shoot", followed by a hideous laughter.

Further analysis by IBAR revealed the hemisync tones, which result from a patented process that uses sound waves to influence an individual's mental state. The tones have been found to increase the rate at which the human brain assimilates and processes information. IBAR claimed these tones made John vulnerable to the suggestive lyrics which Ozzy sang.

Ozzy's lawyer claimed that this was nonsense and relied upon the First Amendment of the Constitution to argue that Ozzy could write about anything he wanted*. Three people had now taken their lives, and in each case it was Ozzy's 'Suicide Solution' song which was the focus as the cause of the deaths. Mr. Anderson claimed that the words, "shoot shoot, get the gun, get the gun" were audible in the song. There is an effect which can be heard on the song, that could be interpreted as that.

* Probably the winning argument but I prefer the 'nonsense' one. Try as I might I'm unable to hear the alleged exhortations to shoot myself (2:00 to 2:42 if you want to investigate for yourself) though there are some indistinct phrases, no laughter however - hideous or otherwise (that's the beginning of Crazy Train you're thinking of there - same album but 3 tracks earlier).

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

RLDavies
773804.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote

Ambiguous stimuli can be interpreted as almost anything. Given a few seconds of mumbles -- overlaid by loud music and voices -- if you're intent on hearing violent language, you'll hear it. The same goes for hearing Satanic curses, and probably nursery rhymes or quotations from classic novels.

Given how difficult it can be to catch the actual lyrics of songs, which everyone agrees are there to be heard and understood, it's hard to believe masses of teenagers can all agree on the content of imperceptible muttering.

("The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind." "Beelzebub has a devil in the sideboard." "Pardon me while I kiss this guy.")

This guy has turned reverse-language paranoia into a full-blown pseudoscience. He claims that all human speech, all the time, reverse-encodes hidden subconscious comments.

djgordy
773811.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote

RLDavies wrote:
"Pardon me while I kiss this guy.")

"'Scuse me......"

RLDavies
773816.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
RLDavies wrote:
"Pardon me while I kiss this guy.")

"'Scuse me......"

Yes, of course. Not knowing the song myself, I misremembered.

PDR
773820.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote

My ears are alight...

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

PDR

RLDavies
773839.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote

An odd thing about the "life flashing before your eyes" phenomenon is that it seems to go in reverse, rewinding your life from the present back to childhood.

If the pattern-matching theory is right, this makes some kind of sense. A current crisis is more likely to be similar to something that happened recently, than something that happened in early childhood.

Interestingly, it's a teaching of western occultism that one of the first things that happens after death is that you're presented with all the events of your just-completed life in reverse order so you can review what you did. Some students of occultism practise a habit every night, just before sleep, of reviewing the events of the past day in reverse order -- this is supposed to be a kind of preparation and also doing some of the work in advance. The books all agree that reviewing the day chronologically does no good at all; it must be in reverse.

I'm wondering whether this insistence that your life is reviewed in reverse order is based on someone's reporting of a near-death experience and the "life flashing before my eyes" phenomenon.

Jenny
773853.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
My ears are alight...

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

PDR

Beelzebub's got a devil for a sideboard...

Just Say No To Vorderman
773863.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:42 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
clack wrote:
Ronnie is a pleasant enough guest, but she isn't funny in a panel situation.

I thought Ronnie was very funny, and really enjoy her appearances.

Stephen: Surely you must have seen mirages
Ronnie: Ah, but I grew up in Scotland!

Have to disagree, I thought she added nothing to the show at all. Her worst appearance so far imho.

Neotenic
773875.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote

I'm always pleased to see Ronni on the panel.

It doesn't matter whether she says anything or not, tbh.

tetsabb
774011.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:55 pm Reply with quote

I think Neo means "I'm always pleased to see Ronni"

As for one's life flashing before one's eyes, I was in a head-on car crash many years ago; early in the morning, the other chap had been up all night and had fallen asleep and come over to my side of the road. As he got closer, I was aware of my time-perception slowing down, and was extremely busy considering my options; so busy in fact, that I don't really remember being scared, and certainly no experience of re-living incidents from my life.
If anything similar happens again, I shall report in full.

bobwilson
774045.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote

post 773755

Speaking on behalf of the Institute for Deleterious Incongruity in Obvious Tonal Songs (Inc - although the Inc has absolutely nothing to do with limiting liability) I can assert with perfect confidence that academic studies show that I'm under constant assault by the dulcet tones of Dermot McDickhead (name withheld for legal reasons) exhorting me to variously:

(the rest of this post has been censored by the CIA)

Can I be called as an expert witness?

sjb
774059.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote

I was very nearly in a nasty car crash over the weekend and as there was nothing I could do to change the situation* I did indeed have a flood of memories enter my head. I said as much to my passenger as we drove on. This was before I had seen this episode of QI.

*I'm generally quite a good driver and can get out of a sticky situation, but this was beyond my control and rather frightening.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next