View previous topic | View next topic

Diamonds, was this mentioned on Qi?

Page 1 of 1

CB27
760262.  Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Was chatting to a friend of mine and somehow we got onto diamonds, and she mentioned something about diamonds being made from compressed coal, and she remembered hearing it on Qi.

I can't remember that particular fact on Qi, maybe it was that both are made from carbon, but it's not the first time I've heard it as a "fact" from people and had to correct them.

I'm not saying diamonds can't be made from coal, I think commercial diamonds are made that way, but I don't think there's been any proof that any naturally formed diamond ever came from coal.

Is this myth really that popular, and was it repeated on Qi?

aTao
760271.  Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote

Diamond can also be spray-painted. Simply let hydrogen and methane flow through an electric arc to turn the gas to plasma, then aim the jet at a substrate that is at 900 centigrade.

Jenny
760414.  Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote

The word 'simply' in the above post strikes me as a tad misleading.

Ion Zone
760427.  Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Diamonds and coal are both made by compressing carbon under large amounts of heat and pressure. The very worst diamonds have bits of carbon ('Inclusions') left in them. If you so wish, you can now get yourself turned into one after death, this will probably be done in a small blast chamber.

You can also get diamonds made from fragments of cut or crushed stones, I think these are called Moissan diamonds but am not sure (It was something beginning with 'M').

Man-made diamonds are always (and always will be) regarded as 'inferior' in the gem trade.

Posital
760435.  Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
The word 'simply' in the above post strikes me as a tad misleading.
Yeah.

There's a much easier way, using only these ingredients:
    A standard home microwave oven
    2 coffee mugs
    3 pieces of 3mm graphite pencil lead
    A few drops of extra virgin olive oil
    A 5" piece of 100% cotton thread

Here's how

PS: Apparently, if your oven doesn't have a graphite setting, you'll just have to wing the timings a bit...

LOL

pedxing
761606.  Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a much easier way, using only these ingredients:

You should have saved your post for April.

Celebaelin
761862.  Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Series 1 Episode 4 said graphite and diamond are both made from carbon, there was no mention of coal.
http://sites.google.com/site/qitranscripts/transcripts/1x04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI_(A_series)#Episode_4_.22Atoms.22

Quote:
Most natural diamonds are formed at high-pressure high-temperature conditions existing at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers (87 to 120 mi) in the Earth mantle. Carbon-containing minerals provide the carbon source, and the growth occurs over periods from 1 billion to 3.3 billion years (25% to 75% of the age of the Earth). Diamonds are brought close to the Earth surface through deep volcanic eruptions by a magma, which cools into igneous rocks known as kimberlites and lamproites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond

astrobumpkin
762081.  Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote

Now this is silly comment but when I was a youth I remember Superman on the TV (Black & White) crushing a piece of coal to create a diamond... So the story goes back at least that far, to the 60's.

bugbear
762329.  Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:

Man-made diamonds are always (and always will be) regarded as 'inferior' in the gem trade.

Regardless of how much marketing De Beers have to buy to make it so!

BugBear

RLDavies
770062.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote

astrobumpkin wrote:
Now this is silly comment but when I was a youth I remember Superman on the TV (Black & White) crushing a piece of coal to create a diamond... So the story goes back at least that far, to the 60's.

There's also the machine in Zork (the classic text adventure game) that changes your lump of coal into a diamond.

crissdee
770293.  Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote

I'm fairly sure Chris Reeve did the same thing in one of the films.

Ion Zone
770664.  Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
I'm fairly sure Chris Reeve did the same thing in one of the films.

I bet they appeared pre-cut. XD And possibly set.

(Incidentally, I have probably mentioned, but you can't cast gold like they do in LotRs. Saron would have looked ridiculous with a triblet!)

Quote:
Regardless of how much marketing De Beers have to buy to make it so!

Oh yes. They are quite persistent when it comes to this sort of thing.

crissdee
772201.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote

Yes, I'm fairly sure it ended up as a proper faceted gem after he squished it, I just figured he squished it VERY carefully! BTW, given that he ended up with a rock the size of a walnut, wouldn't he need to have started with a couple of cubic yards of coal?

Ion Zone
772875.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Maybe more about a kilo, though that is a pure guess, I have no idea how much it takes, certainly more than whatever he was holding as a lot would probably burn off.

Page 1 of 1