View previous topic | View next topic

2nd BoGI - typos?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

versionoriginale
771310.  Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Incidentally, and while in that region of the body, isn't bust fast becoming a noun with no plural? My mother would have spoken of her busts, but these days we speak of a woman's bust or of her breasts.

Seems to be something quite singular around this region, for bosom is used in the singular to refer to a woman's pair breasts (to follow Tom's suggestion for usage of 'pair' after the German).

Similarly chest.

Breast of course can be used in the singular or plural to refer to this region.

suze
771383.  Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote

"Bosom" isn't really used much at all in the circles in which I move; it's seem as a rather old-fashioned term.

But yes, my grandmother would have referred to "bosoms" (or actually, probably wouldn't have, since she was quite genteel and such parts were not mentioned unless absolutely necessary). My mom would have referred to "the bosom" or to "busts". By my generation (I'm 42), it's "the bust" or "breasts".

So the logical next step is "the breast" to refer to the general area or "boobs" to refer to the two separate entities. And actually ...

sjb
771384.  Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote

Bosom and bosoms are somewhat in vogue with my friends. Of course, boobs is the standard term. But bosom and bosoms are increasingly more common terms 'round about here.

'yorz
771605.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote

tchrist wrote:
He’s Ludvig van Beethoven, or just Beethoven for short. He surely wasn’t German nobility as he tried to hoodwink the Oyster Kingdom into believing of him.

I was taught - many moons ago - an English canon

We are told the works of Ludwig Von
Make a Long
Lengthy list
But the only work of this composer
We know, Sir,
Is this....

Melody = Menuet in G *

PS: just learned from my auntie that the worldfamous Hebraist/-Kabbalist Christian Knorr von Rosenrot (wonderful name) really was 'Knorr' (K pronounced). When he became famous, a friend called Von Rosenrot thought that just 'Knorr' was a bit sad, and suggested his surname was added to Knorr's, to give it a bit more weight.
Wiki doesn't confirm this, but it's a nice story anyway.

* Thanks to Spud

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2