View previous topic | View next topic

QI app incorrectness

Page 1 of 1

austnspace
769971.  Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote

So in the top 10 facts for the week, one of them is:

'The Lion King' is the only Disney film not to feature a human.'

This isn't exactly right, Bambi did sort of have a person, but that oft forgotten classic Robin Hood (released 1973 in the US) was completely human free.

Posital
770012.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote

But in Robin Hood, they were all dressed as humans... talking animals simply doesn't count..

There - solved...

(should that be "don't count", as they didn't do that either)

Walt Disney
770038.  Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:38 am Reply with quote

How about Dinosaur and Cars?

orablu
770907.  Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote

you've both got a point there!
though cars is really a disney-pixar movie, so i don't think that one counts...

iantresman
778597.  Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote

"The planet Neptune orbits the Sun so slowly, it hasn't even completed one orbital period since its discovery in 1846. - Jimmy V"

Actually, Neptune completed its first orbit on 20 August 2010.

Although Neptune's average speed is only 5 times slower than Earth's, it still travels at about 3 miles per second (12,000 miles per hour!). More significantly for Neptune taking so much longer to complete an orbit, is that Neptune is 30 times further from the Sun as the Earth, and so it's orbit is 30 times longer that the Earth's.

suze
778652.  Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote

iantresman wrote:
Actually, Neptune completed its first orbit on 20 August 2010.

That date was reported in some sources, but it seems to have been incorrect. A NASA scientist named Bill Folkner chose to use Twitter when he corrected the world, and he reckons that it will happen on 12 July 2011.

source, source

iantresman
778656.  Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. It seems that both dates are correct, depending on whether one is using geocentric or heliocentric coordinates.

I think your sources are more accurate, and the heliocentric date in 2011 is the preferred one. Your Universe Today source provides a good explanation.

tortoiseville
880210.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote

On the QI App 'Top 10 Worst Facts' today (24/1/12) it said a gaberdine is a Jewish cloak.

It is a type of coat, and originated from the Kabardin people in Kabardino-Balkaria in Russia.

-Tortoiseville

CB27
880375.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote

While I'd question it being a Jewish cloak (this is based on Shakespeare's description and that it was worn by many Jews in the Middle Ages), I've not seen a link from this word to the Kabardin people before, do you have sources?

The OED and other sources suggest it was originally a travellers' cloak in the Middle Ages, which might explain why it was common to see Jews in such clothes, and that the word may come from an old German word for pilgrimage, which then came through French and Spanish (through Latin) to the word we now use in English.

suze
880390.  Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote

"The man in the gabardine suit is a spy
I said 'Be careful, his bow tie is really a camera'"

Gabardine is the fabric invented by Thomas Burberry; gaberdine is the garment. We got that right. Phew.

Every dictionary at my disposal agrees with CB and the OED, so I'd want to see evidence for tortoiseville's assertion before accepting it unreservedly.

Page 1 of 1