View previous topic | View next topic

What happens with the Box Tunnel on Brunel's birthday?

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
768178.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote

It turns out the claim that the light shines through the tunnel on Brunel's birthday is disputed.

According to the Great Britons documentary on Brunel presented by Jeremy Clarkson, the latest research (it should be noted this was broadcast in 2002) shows the light shines through on 6th April, three days before his birthday.

Source: YouTube clip of Great Britons, 2:43 in.

aTao
768189.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 am Reply with quote

It may depend where we are between leap years.
Wonder if I can find more...

T J Alex
891229.  Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Slightly OT, but can I just say that I.K. Brunel came from Portsmouth, NOT Bristol, as the whole world seems to think..

brunel
891282.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote

T J Alex wrote:
Slightly OT, but can I just say that I.K. Brunel came from Portsmouth, NOT Bristol, as the whole world seems to think..

It is kind of curious when you think about it - I.K. Brunel was born in Portsmouth, obtained his professional qualifications in France and spent most of his life in London (his office was in Parliament Street whilst the family home was in Duke Street), yet most people associate him with Bristol.

Leith
891295.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:34 am Reply with quote

It's perhaps not so much a case of Brunel coming from Bristol, but rather that much of Bristol comes from Brunel.

He's responsible for a good number of the most recognisable landmarks around here, such as Clifton Suspension Bridge, the SS Great Britain and Temple Meads Station.

I imagine Brunel's steamships and Great Western railway will also have had a significant impact on maintaining Bristol's historical role as a port and transport hub through the 19th century.

brunel
891307.  Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
It's perhaps not so much a case of Brunel coming from Bristol, but rather that much of Bristol comes from Brunel.

He's responsible for a good number of the most recognisable landmarks around here, such as Clifton Suspension Bridge, the SS Great Britain and Temple Meads Station.

I imagine Brunel's steamships and Great Western railway will also have had a significant impact on maintaining Bristol's historical role as a port and transport hub through the 19th century.

There is a dispute over whether the Clifton Suspension Bridge should be considered as one of Brunel's designs or not.

Although the bridge was built as a tribute to him, the bridge went through a major redesign after his death before being built in its current form - for a start, the bridge deck, which is larger and deeper than Brunel's original plans, was fabricated from iron instead of timber, with the barriers at the sides integrated into the structural load path of the deck (whereas they would have been free standing elements if built to Brunel's design).
The chains are also different - famously three sets of chains instead of two - whilst the hangers were also modified to correct a mistake that Brunel made in the original plans which would have imparted a twisting motion to the deck, and even the towers are slightly amended from Brunel's original design.

Page 1 of 1