View previous topic | View next topic

Tea

Page 1 of 1

JumpingJack
33393.  Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote

Someone told me the other day that tea fetches more per ton than heroin and that (because of this) it is now so dangerous to run tea plantations that they are closing down.

If true, this could make a nice question on Dangerous Drugs not necessarily a General Ignorance question.

I just put it here to remind myself to reaerch it properly sometime...

Icarus
33407.  Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:19 am Reply with quote

http://www.unctad.org/Templates/Page.asp?intItemID=1889&lang=1

is where you'll find recognised tea prices - the Kenyan auctions are one of the benchmarks.

Icarus
33413.  Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote

http://www.wola.org/ddhr/ddhr_data_measures.htm

and a place to start with heroin and cocaine prices

Icarus
46459.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Once best known for opium, the active ingredient in heroin, Afghanistan has been working its way up the production ladder. Now it's the world's largest producer and exporter of heroin. Clandestine labs churn out so much product that the average heroin price in Western Europe tumbled to $75 a gram from $251 in 1990, adjusted for inflation, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.

and

Quote:
In 2005, Afghanistan earned $2.7 billion from opium exports, which amounts to 52% of the country's gross domestic product of $5.2 billion, according to UNODC estimates. "You probably can't build democracy in a country where narcotics are such a large part of the economy," says John Carnevale, a former senior counternarcotics official in the first Bush administration and in the Clinton administration.

Source: Wall Street Journal, 18th January 2006

Gray
46465.  Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:55 am Reply with quote

What they need there is some kind of repressive religious regime...

According to tea.org, Ireland was recently the world's largest per-capita consumer of tea, although this site says it's the UK.

This report shows that more Americans drink tea than drink beer!

MUSHFISH
652542.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote

Are herbal teas really tea? I don't think theres any actual tea in them.

Bondee
652555.  Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote

MUSHFISH wrote:
Are herbal teas really tea? I don't think theres any actual tea in them.

From the Wikipedia page on tea...

Quote:
Tea is the agricultural product of the leaves, leaf buds, and internodes of the Camellia sinensis plant, prepared and cured by various methods. "Tea" also refers to the aromatic beverage prepared from the cured leaves by combination with hot or boiling water,[2] and is the common name for the Camellia sinensis plant itself.

...and, a little further down the page...

Quote:
The term "herbal tea" usually refers to an infusion or tisane of leaves, flowers, fruit, herbs or other plant material that contains no Camellia sinensis.

Page 1 of 1