View previous topic | View next topic

What can fall from Aircraft?

Page 1 of 1

GRP
767713.  Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:07 pm Reply with quote

OK, I just finished watching the latest QI which had a question about what can fall from an Aircraft.

Mr Fry said that nothing from the waste systems can leak from the aircraft and as such it is a myth.

I hate to say it but it hasn't always been the truth.

Since aircraft manufacturers began fitting vacuum toilet systems to aircraft, the 'loss' of ice or other matter from the aircraft has been negated.
Before this however, Aircraft were fitted with chemical toilet systems that used Rakasan - a blue coloured liquid designed to neutralise the waste in the tanks. This liquid did sometimes leak, causing blue ice.

Most ice coming off of aircraft these days comes from masts that drain waste water from the sinks in the galleys/lavatories. Most of this water never falls to the ground as ice as these masts are heated and the water doesn't form into sizeable pieces on the fuselage.

Sorry for the rant but I felt compelled to comment!

Sadurian Mike
767741.  Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote

So when the program said that modern systems means less falls from aircraft, you took issue because older systems did result in waste falling.

Do you want to read your post again?

Jenny
767753.  Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote

People occasionally fall from aircraft, if they try and stow away in the wheel wells.

JediGrzyb
767771.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote

It was also mentioned, that 'some trains' flush the poo and pee directly onto the track. I just wanted to mention, that in Poland ALL trains do that. Sometimes there isn't water in the flushing system... And although there is a complete ban on smoking on trains, some [nasty word describing a rude person]s smoke in the toilets.

A few weeks back I was travelling by train (which departed at 4AM) with -12C outside, there was no heating on the train through the whole 4h journey (about 200km). I arrived properly frozen.

This is the sad truth about Polish trains: the few very expensive ones are quite ok. The rest, the ones for common people are in terrible shape, they don't run to well during winter, at any time of year they sometimes catch fire. There is no money to change this, because politicians keep reforming everything, which makes everything worse (rail, schools, retirement systems). The Polish rail system got divided into smaller and smaller companies and the heads of these don't do anything which is at this very moment causing chaos.

I could go on, but the bullet point is, that Polish trains remind me of the poop, that's directly jedisoned onto the tracks.

soup
767773.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote

JediGrzyb wrote:

poop, that's directly jedisoned onto the tracks.

Makes excellent fertilizer for all the seeds that pass straight through aswell.

Efros
767776.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote

I remember travelling on the DDRs Deutsche Reichsbahn and being somewhat shocked to find that the flushing mechanism was simply a hinged floor on the toilet bowl that dumped the contents of the toilet straight onto the track without benefit of any flushing water at all.

suze
767792.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote

Dzień dobry, JediGrzyb! Jestem Kanadyjska i mieszkam w Anglii, ale moja rodzina pochodzi z Gdańsku.

I'd have to agree about Polish trains. The last time I traveled on a Polish train was from Warsaw to Gdańsk, and it was OK although not fast. Mind you, I was traveling first class on an express train - second class on local trains is somewhat spartan.

Jenny
767852.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman (and quite possibly suze's Andy) would no doubt like me to point out at this time that the way the bed of a train track is built resembles very strongly the construction of the kind of septic field we have in our back garden, as we live in a rural area and are therefore not on town water. It's a very efficient way of disposing of human waste.

Ion Zone
767941.  Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote

I know you need permission to drop things out of them because James May needed it for a TV show where he was showing how hard it is to hit a target on the ground by throwing things from a plane.

crissdee
768741.  Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Dzień dobry,

Thats one of only two pieces of Polish I learned after working with four Polish brothers for a few years. The other one is a very rude word, but I don't know how to spell it.

suze
768745.  Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Polish has quite a few of those! Was it kurwa?

deadstick
769777.  Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Fifty years ago in the States there was a list of specific items that could legally be dropped from an aircraft. The ones I remember were unconfined water, sand, and shot no larger than #6 -- all of which have been used as balloon ballast. Today the rule is one of the FAA's more sensible ones: one must not drop anything likely to endanger persons or property on the surface.

Someone cited the vacuum-flush arrangement on aircraft toilets as a solution to leaks there, but it actually has more to do with odor control inside the aircraft. The problem stemmed from the method of emptying the tank. A ramp worker opens a door in the belly and attaches a big yellow hose to a pipe fitting; then he opens a valve in the pipe and pumps the contents out. That valve, when closed, has to contain the internal pressure of the aircraft, which is up to about 8 pounds per square inch at high altitude, and it achieves this with a compressed rubber seal.

The problem arises when hard foreign objects -- coins, keyrings, OJ's knife, etc. -- find their way into the biffy. They tend to damage the seal on the way out, and a slow leak develops. Then the internal pressure forces tank water -- colored by methylene blue, a disinfectant as well as a powerful dye -- out, a drop at a time. At altitude, the drops quickly freeze and a ball of blue ice accumulates on the belly. At the end of the flight, the airplane descends into warmer air and, well, bombs away. It naturally is near an airport by this time, so someone often hears a crash and finds a hole in the roof and a ball of blue frozen shit embedded in the floor. If he has the presence of mind to note the precise time and call the FAA instead of the TV newsroom, he's in for a nice check from an airline.

There was a run of these incidents in the 1970's, and a combination of equipment redesign and inspection requirements greatly reduced it -- but they are not extinct.

rj

Jumper
777216.  Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote

Bits of wing fall from aircraft - well from poorly maintained ones anyway...

mikeholden
1129584.  Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote

JediGrzyb wrote:
some trains flush the poo ... directly onto the track ... in Poland ALL trains do that

Thus we get the proof that you CAN Polish a turd

(sorry!)

Page 1 of 1