View previous topic | View next topic

Elephants

Page 14 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Jenny
164625.  Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
The last recorded aurochs was killed in a Polish forest in 1627.

Blimey, as recently as that? I thought they were prehistoric.

Molly Cule
165308.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote

Elephants were great for the gem trade in Sri Lanka in the days when the rajas ruled the island. The rajas used to hold sacred elephant parades, the elephants would be decked out in fine and precious jewels. A gem worn by an elephant could then be sold on at double the price.

Jems - a secret history.

lizzie
165310.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Liz the Picture Researcher. Went to the British Library today to have a look at the map with the outline of an elephant drawn into the contours. The story behind it seems slightly different to the one being discussed on the forum. As I have read and understand it:
"In 1924 a group of young Army officers were surveying an inaccessible part of Africa's Gold Coast. At the end of a hard day's work under the tropical sun, a single hill remained. The men decided that, using a little imagination, the small area could be artificially filled in. They drew around a picture in a magazine, creating contours in the form of an elephant. Their improvisation was not detected and the elephant can be seen at least into the 1960s."

Flash
165351.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Liz. Can we use the map?

lizzie
165361.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote

Yes, it's out of copyright so it should be fine. I have to get the British Library to photograph it (minimal cost) and this can take up to one month so once I discuss it with Sarah I will set the ball rolling so it is available for you.

Flash
165369.  Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote

Good. I think we are likely to use it if we're able.

eggshaped
166008.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote

Inspired by an elephant at bronx zoo which was spinning around before giving birth is this patent from 1965, it's a spinning machine to use a centrifugal force of up to 7g to help force the baby out.

more here

MatC
166020.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote

Fantastic! Let's hope they haven't got Michael Vaughan catching them as they come out ...

eggshaped
166024.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote

Do you not see that little net where it comes out? We're continually told that Vaughny is pretty good in the nets.

It was a couple who came up with the idea. Thankfully they died childless.

MatC
166047.  Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
We're continually told that Vaughny is pretty good in the nets.

Hmmm ... "The ICC Nets World Cup 2008" ... that might be one we could actually win ...

Jenny
166359.  Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote

post 147608 on the English placenames thread on the outer forums, by costean, reads as follows:

Quote:
costean wrote:
the coat of arms of Coventry had an elephant and howdah as far back as the 13th century.

It has come to my attention that the Coat of Arms of Bolton also has an elephant and howdah (castle) and I wouldn't want the good people of Bolton to feel in any way marginalised.

Quote:
Quote:
The elephant and castle which were also in use before the grant of 1890. These are held to derive from the arms of Coventry, with which Bolton has links going back to the middle of the 13th century when Bolton Church was annexed as a prebend to the cathedral Church of Lichfield and came under the authority of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry

http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/lancs_ob.html

In fact they seem to be very proud of their elephants and Bolton Metropolitan Council has produced an activity booklet called The Elephant Trail.

Pictures of elephants in Bolton - for those (probably very few) still interested.

Jenny
167311.  Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote

I came across this elephant-related factoid today, but have no source for it other than this - made me laugh though so maybe it's worth pursuing.

Quote:
"What was on Hannibal's mind as he drove his elephants over the Alps? Looking good, apparently, because on Hannibal's head was a wig, which he wore into battle to cover his lack of locks. Julius Caesar used his chaplet for the same purpose, the comb-over having not yet been discovered."
Jack Reed; Men Want to Look Good, Too; St. Petersburg Times (Florida)
Jan 28, 2001.

eggshaped
169466.  Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote

Re: Elephants getting drunk on marula fruit.

Beer made from the marula tree is the favourite drink of the people of Swaziland, drinkers say that it doesn’t give you a hangover, but in 2002 it was banned by authorities who blamed it on a huge increase in drink-driving, street brawls and absenteeism at work.

link

eggshaped
169790.  Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 am Reply with quote

I read in a single internet place that Mary Phelps Jacob, she who invented the bra, became most famous for riding an elephant naked around Paris.

Anyone?!?!

Molly Cule
170676.  Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Gourma elephants in Mali are the only elephants to travel a circular migration path each year. They travel along a 450 km long ancient highway from one water hole to the next in order to survive in a narrow strip of land surrounded by desert.
S - National geographic online

Page 14 of 16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next