View previous topic | View next topic

Series H, Episode 13: Holidays

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Colsa
768129.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:34 am Reply with quote

I was at the recording of this programme and a minor piece of trivia was that Alan's 'holiday' destination was Hong Kong. His presentation on the subject was cut from the programme that was broadcast and a short comment from Stephen was added in it's place.

Ian Dunn
768133.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote

I noticed that when Hungary was being discussed there were two images that popped up which were not discussed - the helicopter and the credit card hologram. What is their connection to Hungary?

Leith
768175.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:39 am Reply with quote

I'm sure others have better researched information, but a quick search on Hungary and helicopters turned up these links:

Wikipedia: Oszkár Asbóth
Quote:
a Hungarian aviation engineer often credited with the invention of the helicopter

Austro-Hungarian helicopters
This page has some interesting pictures and descriptions of early helicopter designs from the 1910s.

Flash
768265.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Well spotted - and the hologram was invented by Gábor Dénes (Dennis Gabor).

By the way, I get letters every week from people lambasting the research on QI ("A quick check on Wikipedia would have told you that, contrary to your assertion ..."), so I think it's fair to point out that, for this episode, my colleague eggshaped personally visited every country in the world whose name in English starts with an H, including Hawaii, Hungary, and the Himalayan country which he always referred to in his notes as Hbhutan, as well as several others which weren't even used in the show. If anyone can name another light entertainment panel show which could make a similar boast, I'll be surprised.

Ian Dunn
768269.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Is eggshaped doing the same thing for the next series? Will be visiting Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Iran, Iraq, Israel, India, Indonesia and the Ivory Coast?

suze
768293.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Not the last named, since that country asks that it is referred to - in all languages - as Côte d'Ivoire. Calling it "Ivory Coast" is thus slightly non-PC.

QI's insurers might possibly have issues about sending him to Iran and Iraq, but he could go to the Isle of Man instead.

samivel
768301.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Or the Isle of Wight.

Bondee
768304.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Or Ilford.

mark298
768337.  Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote

I think Stephen made a mistake when talking about the parrot fish. He used the term 'excretion' when talking about defecation, this is a common misconception and a more suitable biological term would be 'egestion'.

Curious Danny
768463.  Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:59 am Reply with quote

Good episode - nice to know that Offa's dyke made everyone in history class smirk even more at the turn of the last century

eggshaped
768481.  Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote

I've just got back from Istanbul as it happens, and went to Iceland earlier this year.

No plans to visit any other places at the moment though - I had plans to go to a pygmy hippo conference in Cote d'Ivoire earlier in the year but it was moved to Liberia. And I am going to Russia shortly, but that doesn't really begin with I - not even by my tenuous standards!

eggshaped
768483.  Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote

If anyone's interested, I kept a blog last year on my H-travels - you can read it here...

http://tripipedia.blogspot.com/2009/11/day-1-budapest-hungary.html

MatC
771014.  Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote

My Humax ate holes in this episode, so I can't be sure, but did we say that Bhutan was the world's greenest country?

If so, might be worth a reminder that, according to the WWF, in its 2006 Living Planet Report, Cuba is the only sustainable nation on earth.

http://s.coop/wwfcuba

Jenny
771509.  Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Egg - you could always focus on Imperial Russia.

Leith
771515.  Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote

..or Irkutsk, once known as "The Paris of Siberia".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irkutsk

Crossing the Angara at Irkutsk, Nikolay Dobrovolsky (1886)
(click thumbnail to embiggen)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next