View previous topic | View next topic

QI - Factually inaccurate

Page 1 of 1

Ira pembrugge
765040.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote

Iím new to QI and was really enjoying the show until I found it to be factually inaccurate on a number of occasions.
1. Stephen Fry stated that witches were burnt in England in Medieval times. The English never burnt witches they hung them.
2. Stephen Fry stated that there is no evidence that Christians were fed to the lions in the coliseum in Rome. This is also wrong. I refer him to the story of Bandolina, a slave girl and Christian. A roman chronicler wrote at the time that no one was braver and suffered as much as Bandolina while being ripped apart by lions in the arena.
Lions were numerous in North Africa until the Romans wiped them out.
So please QI, donít be so lazy and incompetent and instead of doing all your research on the internet read the documentation.

Efros
765054.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote

Howsabout a source for the Bandolina story? To say the English never burnt witches may be correct but they certainly burnt heretics and others with a certain amount of gusto.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/burning.html

Arcane
765056.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote

Ira pembrugge wrote:

So please QI, donít be so lazy and incompetent and instead of doing all your research on the internet read the documentation.

Lazy? Incompetent?! You're attacking a show you claim to enjoy and saying that the show does not have correct evidence, yet you have not provided it yourself.

It's also not humanly possible to be 100% correct all the time, which QI has never claimed to be. In fact, as a 3 year veteran of this forum, I have found it to be welcoming of correction if things are found to be incorrect, as long as it's backed up by strong evidence. As Efros says, please provide a source.

suze
765066.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 am Reply with quote

In any case, did not the show say that, while a very small number of witches were indeed burned, most were hanged?

Moosh
765084.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote

Ira pembrugge wrote:
1. Stephen Fry stated that witches were burnt in England in Medieval times. The English never burnt witches they hung them.

Well, in Series 3 episode 12 of Qi, Stephen said:

"Well, [The Da Vinci Code] did claim that about five million women were burned or hanged around Europe for being witches; there's absolutely no evidence of anything like as much as that. Probably about 500, probably less, in England, and they weren't burned: they were hanged."

What was that about lazy and incompetent research?

samivel
765113.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Well, that's not a very good start.

Ira pembrugge wrote:
2. Stephen Fry stated that there is no evidence that Christians were fed to the lions in the coliseum in Rome. This is also wrong. I refer him to the story of Bandolina, a slave girl and Christian. A roman chronicler wrote at the time that no one was braver and suffered as much as Bandolina while being ripped apart by lions in the arena.

Unless and until you can provide a source for this, something 'a Roman chronicler' wrote is unlikely to cut any mustard, especially as it doesn't say that the claimed event took place at the Colosseum.

Posital
765132.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote

TSD wrote:
The Romans did a big business in mass slaughter by and of animals, showing great enterprise in arranging dramatic forms of killing, so if they didn't throw any Christians to the lions, it was likely an oversight.

Sounds about right to me.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2841/were-christians-really-thrown-to-the-lions

Efros
765147.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Would still like a source for this Bandolina's demise.

Neotenic
765312.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Lions were numerous in North Africa until the Romans wiped them out.

Barbary lions lived in the wild in North Africa until around 100 years ago.

CB27
765404.  Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Back to the OP and the second point about Christians in Rome, I'm not aware of Bandolina, but I know the story of Saint Blandina, and from a couple of points from that post I'm guessing that it was her who you meant.

If so is the case then there are several errors. Blandina was not killed in Rome, instead she was killed in Lyon along with other Christians, and she was one of several to be made saints. There are several problems with the accounts of Blandina and others in Lyon, we have to rely on "facts" written over a century later.

You have to remember that the second half of the second century was plagued by a number of natural disasters which made many Romans very nervous, and there are several events where "outsiders" were massacred, not just Christians, this has to be remembered when looking at how people reacted at that time.

Page 1 of 1