View previous topic | View next topic

Dodgson, Rev. Charles Lutwidge

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Quaint Idiot
36514.  Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:30 am Reply with quote

Well Mrs Windsor (or should I have said Saxe-Coburg-Gotha) is at least partly dastardly Hun.

Last edited by Quaint Idiot on Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Noel Ramadan
36528.  Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote

Well yes, this is true and was only omitted from my original post to save space and keep to the point...but now you've pursued it I was going to mention that Libby and I are quite but not entirely English. Statistically I am as Irish as she is Kraut.

Scurra
38782.  Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I'd like to add that Dodgson invented what is generally known as the "Swiss" tournament system, used mostly in Chess Tournaments although he invented it for use in Lawn Tennis events. Instead of being a straight knock-out event, players play multiple rounds, at each round generally only playing competitors who had done as well as them (so, in round 2, all the winners would play each other, as would the losers.)
The virtue of this system is that one bad performance doesn't eliminate you from the contest, which is encouraging for the bad players and important for the good ones.
Unfortunately, it is an horrendously difficult system to administer (even with computer assistance) and it also makes for less exciting outcomes (since the better players ought to consistently dominate instead of being eliminated due to a bad day), thus it hasn't really made it into the mainstream, which is a shame. It's certainly a far better approach than things like "group matches" which is the generally used alternative to knock-out events.

NickF
1135744.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
It's a photograph of Alice Liddell as an adult. Here's one of Dodgson's versions of her as a child:

I was trawling through old subjects to see whether the photo I am posting below had been up here before. I don't think that it has, so here it is.

This is the same Alice, a bit older, photographed by Julia Margaret Cameron Doesn't Alice look striking?

CharliesDragon
1135752.  Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Alice after she snuffs the Red Queen from the throne and takes control over Wonderland? She certainly looks like she could. :P

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2