View previous topic | View next topic

Britain's most watched Christmas special

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
764039.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 am Reply with quote

One for a the next QI Christmas special maybe.

The most watched Christmas special in British TV history is the 1977 programme Mike Yarwood's Christmas Show.

Both this and the 1977 Morecambe and Wise Christmas special both attracted 28 million viewers. However, Yarwood's show, which was aired just before Eric and Ernie, attracted a slightly larger audience share.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Efros
765059.  Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote

I never liked Yarwood much, I would have been one of the ones watching M&W. I remember in those days the great anticipation there was of the arrival of the two week edition of the Radio Times, less so for the TV Times. With much searching and circling of must sees and multiple referrals to the film guide to see how good the Xmas films were going to be. In those days a film had to have been on general release for at least 3 years IIRC before it could be shown on TV and Christmas was the main event for TV premieres.

Jumper
773752.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
In those days a film had to have been on general release for at least 3 years IIRC before it could be shown on TV and Christmas was the main event for TV premieres.

Aah yes - the 3.10 Christmas Day Bond Film...

Quantum of Solace has finished its New Zealand TV premier on TVNZ Channel 1 just 10 minutes ago. Not Christmas - but close enough with most people being still on holiday - or like me and first day back at work.

bobwilson
774050.  Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the great anticipation there was of the arrival of the two week edition of the Radio Times, less so for the TV Times

Not least because the times published were the actual times of programmes broadcast. These days you can be watching a programme on BBC and go to the constantly updated teletext listings to find that something completely different is on the channel you're watching. (It would probably be the same on ITV but for the fact that they've sensibly allowed their licence to lapse and therefore can't present the fiction).

And that's before we consider the subtitles - is it really beyond the wit and wisdom of the subtitlers to pre-subtitle pre-recorded reports? You know - in that interval between clocking on in the morning and buggering off to the pub? At the very least you could actually get the pre-recorded segments accurately subtitled?

I realise that "working" for the BBC is just pretending to work - but you could at least make the effort to maintain the fiction.

samivel
774418.  Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote

Ooh, another one - it just never gets dull, does it? Except for everyone else, obviously.

Page 1 of 1