View previous topic | View next topic

I've never heard of that!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

imaginer
763998.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote

Just a wierd thing...

I've never heard of "Q tips" as referenced by Stephen Fry... I assume them to be "Cotton buds"...

& I have never heard anyone refer to hiccups as hiccoughs!

Sometimes one is just struck by how insular different parts of this nation can be!

I do have a funny little insular world myself...

I like to go to "The Pictures"

My favourite soaps are Emmerdale & Brookside!

What they stopped making Brokkie?!?!

well since when would I let dumb TV execs dictate what I watch on TV?!

Funniest thing about Brookie... and not really Brokkie as such but the writer Phil Redmond...

Phil Redmond wrote Grange Hill, which was hugely successful... he then got the sack & Grange Hill became droll and failed as a show!

Phil Redmond then went on to write Brookside, which was very successful... he then got the sack and Brookside became bland and failed as a show!

He then went on to write Hollyoaks, which had good success... he then got the sack! Hollyoaks started failing as a show!

I find that little annecdote priceless!

soup
764000.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote

imaginer wrote:
I have never heard anyone refer to hiccups as hiccoughs!

You wouldn't have, the pronounciation is exactly the same so unless you can tell how people spell things you wont hear a difference between hiccup and hiccough.

(Aside :- Wasn't there a Jeeves and Wooster character who could tell if you hadn't spelt his name with a silent "P" [psmith]?)

cherrycoke
764002.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:12 am Reply with quote

Rupert Psmith

I'm pretty sure Q-tip is a genericised trademark that comes from the US. The one that always got me was how Americans and Brits had two different genericised trademarks for the same thing, based on which was more successful in the respective territories - Band-Aid & Elastoplast.

AlmondFacialBar
764003.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote

[quote="soup"]
imaginer wrote:
(Aside :- Wasn't there a Jeeves and Wooster character who could tell if you hadn't spelt his name with a silent "P" [psmith]?)

He was a Wodehouse character, but not from Jeeves and Wooster. Mike and Psmith is an independent canon of stories (and very funny ones, too). I don't think he was able to tell whether people had spelt the P, but he insisted anyway as he had personally put it there, stating that Smith as such was too ordinary a name for him.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
764033.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote

cherrycoke wrote:
I'm pretty sure Q-tip is a genericised trademark that comes from the US.

Yes. The product was invented by a Polish Jewish American called Leo Gerstenzang. The Q stands for "Quality", but Mr Gerstenzang originally called the things "Baby Gays".

Redd Arrow
764035.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:42 am Reply with quote

Once saw the band "Q-Tips" supporting "The Who." back in the early 80's, they were fronted by Paul Young before he went solo. Although they only had small chart sucess they were highly rated as a live act.

RLDavies
764036.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:44 am Reply with quote

Q-Tip is an American brand name, but there are no other brands of cotton buds in the US -- or at least none worth mentioning -- so Americans routinely call any cotton bud a "Q-Tip".

The same with Band-Aids and Jell-O (US) and Sellotape and Plasticine (UK). The general phenomenon is called genericisation, and can lead to loss of brand and trademark rights if the company fails to defend the name vigorously.

zomgmouse
764058.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
independent canon

I think they all intertwingled at some point or other.

Efros
764066.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote

I seem to remember some stramash with the advertising of Durex, the brand of Australian sellotape not the novelty balloons, involving the Beeb, the FIA and the coverage of the Aussie Grand Prix.

themoog
764116.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote

Always thought Q-tips was something to do with snooker...

cornixt
764125.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote

cherrycoke wrote:
The one that always got me was how Americans and Brits had two different genericised trademarks for the same thing, based on which was more successful in the respective territories - Band-Aid & Elastoplast.

I thought both of those brands were only known in America. The only time I'd even heard of Band Aid was the musical fund-raiser, only much later did I find out it had a second meaning. They were always just plasters to me.

tetsabb
764146.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
but Mr Gerstenzang originally called the things "Baby Gays".

So someone may, at the time, have said, "I am going to clean out my ear with a Baby Gay".
Who would ever have thought of those words being in that order in the same sentence?

Neotenic
764177.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
They were always just plasters to me.

I asked for plasters in a pharmacy....sorry, drugstore in Boston.

The chap behind the counter looked at me like I'd asked for a moon rock curry with a side helping of llama ears.

suze
764215.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
I thought both of those brands were only known in America.

Elastoplast is actually a British brand; the adhesive bandages with that name were first made by T J Smith and Nephew in Hull. Smith and Nephew sold out in 1992 to a Hamburg based company called Beiersdorf AG, and the Hamburg-ness is reflected in the name used for the product in most of Europe - Hansaplast.

Spud McLaren
764224.  Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
...plasters...The chap behind the counter looked at me like I'd asked for a moon rock curry with a side helping of llama ears.
Think how an Aussie gets looked at here when asking for a roll of Durex.

"A roll???"

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next