View previous topic | View next topic

I happened to hear on the radio....

Page 28 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Dix
1390186.  Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:20 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
extremophilesheep wrote:
To be honest, I'm not up to date with how English is being taught in secondary schools here, and the Radio 4 recommendations are to do with adult education, anything from jolly evening classes just to chat in English with no pressure to do a test to the Cambridge English education courses.

I still find it hard to believe that Just A Minute is recommended for improving one's English. This is a programme where people are encouraged to interrupt each other, frequently interpret subjects in a devious fashion, and speak in deliberate circumlocutions to avoid repeating themselves!

As a lesson in clear English, I'd recommend people to listen to someone like Viji Alles reading the Six O'Clock News.

Listening to Paul Merton going on for more than a full minute on the subject of Sudoku without knowing how they work is an education in itself!

It all depends on what level you're at.

I've found Just A Minute very very useful in getting from being good at understanding English to being really good at understanding English.
The first few times I listened I was completely in shock at the speed that (primarily) Mr Merton and His Fryness were going at. The rules are simple and it doesn't matter if you don't catch everything that is going on. But if you hang in there, you will.
Listening to carefully enunciated news bulletin won't challenge you in the same way.

extremophilesheep
1390266.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote

Yes, good point. Most people whose first language isn't English but have good enough English skills will not struggle with news bulletins of course, but listening to Paul Sinha's General Knowledge is a bit of a stretch. And while In Our Time (also often recommended) is usually interesting, it's more dynamic things like Just a Minute that are quite helpful in actual use of language.

Similarly, tv shows like To buy or not to buy (one of my time, learning English with subtitles on but the lovely Kristian Digby was one of the first not being a newsreader I felt I could also understand very well without subtitles), Homes under the Hammer (which thanks to subtitles taught me the presenters were not talking about the oddly specific "masturbate room"), Cash in the attic, Flog it, Antiques Road Show, Countryfile - all shows where you learn every day English in interactions, usually clearly spoken but not over the top so.

extremophilesheep
1390267.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote

Now that made me think about the forgotten Kristian Digby and a weird discussion/argument I once had with someone on a forum. Arguably, he was a goodlooking man. But apparently I couldn't say that, because he was gay. That struck me as a weird pigeonholing thought - you can't say someone is goodlooking because they're gay and you're not? People who claim the internet was a nicer place before all the social media are not completely wrong but it wasn't all rosy either. Just different.

Jenny
1390296.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote

When I was learning German in secondary school, we were taught that German was easier for Yorkshire people because our flat northern a sounds were closer to how German should sound.

crissdee
1390302.  Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote

extremophilesheep wrote:
Arguably, he was a goodlooking man. But apparently I couldn't say that, because he was gay.

WTAF???????

Brock
1391324.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote

Ian Hislop and Jimmy Mulville discussed Have I Got News For You with Peter Fincham and Jon Plowman on this week's edition of Radio 4's What's Funny About...?. May be of interest to some people:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00101ql

Jenny
1391335.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote

I used to like watching HIGNFY but it hasn't appeared on the streaming services yet. We do watch Mock the Week on BritBox though, although we're currently watching stuff that was filmed in January this year so somewhat behind the times.

Jenny
1391363.  Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for that link Brock - I just listened to that, and also to another episode with our onlie begetter John Lloyd with Tony Robinson talking about Blackadder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jq99

Brock
1392343.  Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:38 pm Reply with quote

John Lloyd's back on the same programme this Wednesday with Pamela Stephenson, talking about Not the Nine O'Clock News. Looking forward to it.

Brock
1392512.  Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote

Brock wrote:
John Lloyd's back on the same programme this Wednesday with Pamela Stephenson, talking about Not the Nine O'Clock News. Looking forward to it.

Now on BBC Sounds here and well worth hearing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0010f7z

Funnily enough they discuss the "Life of Python" sketch which came up in another thread recently - at around 11:37 John Lloyd even calls it "a sketch about Python and how people worshipped them", and I wouldn't dare contradict him!

Next week is John Cleese on Fawlty Towers, by the way.

Page 28 of 28
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28